* New User configuration for a windows dialup
@ 2002-09-22  3:49 Jason Parker-Burlingham
From: Jason Parker-Burlingham @ 2002-09-22  3:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'm helping a new Gnus user; they read news and pop mail over an
intermittent dialup connection using Gnus 5.9.0 (Windows 98 or so,
Emacs21).

What I'd *like* to be able to do is to have Gnus fail quickly
(especially on startup) if there is no network connection and display
the user's read and sent mail instead of timing out NNTP and POP3
connections.

I think this is probably doable by setting NNTP and incoming mail
groups to low numbers (or maybe by having fetchmail or something
handle the POP downloads?) but I'm hoping there's some other, simpler
way that I'm missing.
--
| ``Ooooaah!                                                            |

only message in thread, other threads:[~2002-09-22  3:49 UTC | newest]