Unnamed repository; edit this file 'description' to name the repository.
* Searching gmane messages from Gnus
@ 2020-09-07 15:25 Garjola Dindi
From: Garjola Dindi @ 2020-09-07 15:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Hi,

How can I search messages from a news group like nntp+news.gmane.io ?

The Gnus manual gives information about search engines which need to
create local index files, but is this the way to search nntp servers? I
mean, if I need to be online to access the messages, what is the use of
index files?

If somebody could share an example of configuration or procedure I would
very much appreciate that.

Thanks.

--
Garjola.

* Re: Searching gmane messages from Gnus
@ 2020-09-07 16:29 ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2020-09-07 16:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Garjola Dindi <garjola@garjola.net> writes:

> Hi,
>
> How can I search messages from a news group like nntp+news.gmane.io ?
>
> The Gnus manual gives information about search engines which need to
> create local index files, but is this the way to search nntp servers? I
> mean, if I need to be online to access the messages, what is the use of
> index files?
>
> If somebody could share an example of configuration or procedure I would
> very much appreciate that.

The Gmane server used to have its own search index, but no longer does,
which effectively means you can't search those groups through Gnus' nntp
interface. In theory the data could still be indexed and the index
hosted elsewhere -- or even distributed to users -- but no one has gone
and done that yet.

Eric