* Tags in Emacs.
@ 2012-10-07 17:46 Dmitrii Kashin
From: Dmitrii Kashin @ 2012-10-07 17:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Hello. I am WMII user. This is a window manager wich have tags,
i.e. configuration of windows. In other words tag is an abstract thing,
which keeps in mind how to split workspace, and what program should be
shown in each part of it.

I think it's very useful thing. I want the same in Emacs. Is there some
realizations of this functional?

--
**************************************
*  jabber:  freehck@jabber.mipt.ru   *

* Re: Tags in Emacs.
@ 2012-10-07 20:23 ` William Gardella
From: William Gardella @ 2012-10-07 20:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english-mXXj517/zsQ

Hey,

Dmitrii Kashin <freehck-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org> writes:

> Hello. I am WMII user. This is a window manager wich have tags,
> i.e. configuration of windows. In other words tag is an abstract thing,
> which keeps in mind how to split workspace, and what program should be
> shown in each part of it.
>
> I think it's very useful thing. I want the same in Emacs. Is there some
> realizations of this functional?

I have enjoyed wmii in the past.  `workgroups'[1]

--
I use grml (http://grml.org/)

* Re: Tags in Emacs.
@ 2012-10-07 20:28 ` William Gardella
From: William Gardella @ 2012-10-07 20:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english-mXXj517/zsQ

Dmitrii Kashin <freehck-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org> writes:

> Hello. I am WMII user. This is a window manager wich have tags,
> i.e. configuration of windows. In other words tag is an abstract thing,
> which keeps in mind how to split workspace, and what program should be
> shown in each part of it.
>
> I think it's very useful thing. I want the same in Emacs. Is there some
> realizations of this functional?

Sorry about that.

As I was saying...I have enjoyed wmii in the past, and two add-on
packages offering a similar functionality to wmii tags are
`workgroups'[1] and `elscreen'[2].  These can offer rules-based
configurations that persist across sessions, like wmii tags.  Emacs also
has builtin the `window-configuration-to-register' function, C-x r w,
which you can restore with C-x r j.  This is more for quick context
changes, though, and it doesn't persist easily across sessions.

[1] http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/WorkgroupsForWindows

[2] http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/EmacsLispScreen
--
I use grml (http://grml.org/)

* Re: Tags in Emacs.
@ 2012-10-08 18:25   ` Dmitrii Kashin
From: Dmitrii Kashin @ 2012-10-08 18:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

William Gardella <gardellawg@gmail.com>
writes:

> Dmitrii Kashin <freehck@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Hello. I am WMII user. This is a window manager wich have tags,
>> i.e. configuration of windows. In other words tag is an abstract thing,
>> which keeps in mind how to split workspace, and what program should be
>> shown in each part of it.
>>
>> I think it's very useful thing. I want the same in Emacs. Is there some
>> realizations of this functional?
>
> Sorry about that.
>
> As I was saying...I have enjoyed wmii in the past, and two add-on
> packages offering a similar functionality to wmii tags are
> `workgroups'[1] and `elscreen'[2].  These can offer rules-based
> configurations that persist across sessions, like wmii tags.  Emacs also
> has builtin the `window-configuration-to-register' function, C-x r w,
> which you can restore with C-x r j.  This is more for quick context
> changes, though, and it doesn't persist easily across sessions.
>
> [1] http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/WorkgroupsForWindows
>
> [2] http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/EmacsLispScreen

It is the thing I searched. I did not truely know about builtin
functions, but now I've just discovered emacs user manual following to
link on emacswiki due to your links. That's great! I will be reading it
a lot in the near future.

Thank you! :)

--