* gnus-summary-move-article and multiple gmail accounts
@ 2011-11-08 14:14 George McNinch
From: George McNinch @ 2011-11-08 14:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Hi,

Here is something that I think I have not correctly understood.

I have two different gmail accounts:

,----
| (setq gnus-secondary-select-methods
|       '(
| 	(nnimap "personal"
| 		(nnimap-address "imap.gmail.com")
| 		(nnimap-inbox "INBOX")
| 		)
| 	(nnimap "work"
| 		(nnimap-address "imap.gmail.com")
| 		(nnimap-inbox "INBOX")
| 		)
| 	))
`----

and I try to meep personal and work email separated accordingly.

I sometimes goof. Then I want to move an email from one account
to another.

I can copy the article between the accounts using

  B c -- i.e. gnus-summary-copy-article

Or I can "move" the article between the accounts

  B m -- i.e. gnus-summary-move-article

If I visit nnimap+personal:INBOX in the summary buffer, and move via
"B m" a piece of mail to nnimap+work:INBOX, then indeed in the summary
nnimap+personal:INBOX buffer the article appears to have been "moved".
The summary entry for that article is "blacked out": the text of the
summary description changes face, and there is some sort of status mark
of "G" which is what I see when "B Del" is used to delete articles.

And if I now close the nnimap+personal:INBOX summary buffer and open the
nnimap+work:INBOX summary buffer, I indeed see the moved article.

But now if I *reopen* the first group nnimap+personal:INBOX in the
summary buffer, the supposedly moved mail is still present.

So in the end, the behavior of "B m" is nearly identical to "B c" except
for the "immediate" -- and short-lived -- deletion of the article in the
open summary buffer.

Is this the expected behavior or have I failed to configure something
correctly?

best,
george

--
  ,--------
  | George McNinch <gmcninch (at) gmail.com>
  | http://gmcninch.math.tufts.edu
  `--------

* Re: gnus-summary-move-article and multiple gmail accounts
@ 2011-11-08 14:58 ` Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 2011-11-08 14:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

George McNinch <gmcninch@gmail.com> writes:

> ,----
> | (setq gnus-secondary-select-methods
> |       '(
> | 	(nnimap "personal"
> | 		(nnimap-address "imap.gmail.com")
> | 		(nnimap-inbox "INBOX")
> | 		)
> | 	(nnimap "work"
> | 		(nnimap-address "imap.gmail.com")
> | 		(nnimap-inbox "INBOX")
> | 		)
> | 	))
> `----

Sorry to butt in on your topic with something a bit OT, but would you
mind posting the full code that the above is taken from?

I'd like to see how it done to handle multiple gmail accounts.

How I can fit that into this:

(add-to-list 'gnus-secondary-select-methods '(nnimap "hputnam3"
                           (nnimap-address "imap.gmail.com")
                           (nnimap-server-port 993)
                           (nnimap-stream ssl)))

The bit with the apostrophe in your code above is left blank... what
goes in there?

* Re: gnus-summary-move-article and multiple gmail accounts
@ 2011-11-08 16:01   ` George McNinch
From: George McNinch @ 2011-11-08 16:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Hi--

> ,----
> | (setq gnus-secondary-select-methods
> |       '(
> | 	(nnimap "personal"
> | 		(nnimap-address "imap.gmail.com")
> | 		(nnimap-inbox "INBOX")
> | 		)
> | 	(nnimap "work"
> | 		(nnimap-address "imap.gmail.com")
> | 		(nnimap-inbox "INBOX")
> | 		)
> | 	))
> `----

    HP> Sorry to butt in on your topic with something a bit OT, but
    HP> would you mind posting the full code that the above is taken
    HP> from?

Actually, I didn't snip anything substantive (just gmane and an nnfolder
spec). I believe that what you need to know is that .authinfo contains
lines

,----
| machine personal login gmail-personal-account-username password **** port imap
| machine work login gmail-work-account-username password **** port imap
`----

and that makes it work.

--
  ,--------

       [not found] <mailman.2138.1320762025.15868.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
@ 2012-01-03 23:47 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2012-01-03 23:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: George McNinch; +Cc: info-gnus-english

George McNinch <gmcninch@gmail.com> writes:

> But now if I *reopen* the first group nnimap+personal:INBOX in the
> summary buffer, the supposedly moved mail is still present.

The Gmail IMAP server is a kinda strange piece of software, and just
deleting a message doesn't always work.  Especially not in the INBOX, if
I understand correctly.

Setting `nnimap-expunge' may or may not help...