* gnus gnub question
@ 2009-05-30  5:02 notbob
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: notbob @ 2009-05-30  5:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

I'm still a novice emacs user, but am learning.  Now trying gnus for
usenet after using slrn for yrs.  Not too hard, as many gnus key commands
are the same as slrn.  I've have one problem and a couple questions.

According to O'Reilly's Learning Gnu Emacs, DEL is the key to scroll
an article backwards.  It doesn't work for me.  I get this in the
mini-buffer:

Buffer is read-only: #<buffer *Summary gnu.emacs.gnus*>

I'm running emacs 22.2.1.  Is there a different scroll back key, now?

The questions are, when I catch-up a group and then re-enter,
specifying n number of articles to bring up, all the articles are
colored cyan and have an O to the left of the article.  What does this
mean?  Also, in summary buffer, what do article titles bracketed with
greater/lesser brackets mean ( < subject > )?

I hope this posts.  ;)

nb

* Re: gnus gnub question
@ 2009-05-30 11:17 ` Tassilo Horn
       [not found] ` <mailman.8139.1243683065.31690.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2009-05-30 11:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

notbob@bb.nothome.com writes:

Hi!

> According to O'Reilly's Learning Gnu Emacs, DEL is the key to scroll
> an article backwards.  It doesn't work for me.  I get this in the
> mini-buffer:
>
> Buffer is read-only: #<buffer *Summary gnu.emacs.gnus*>

Hm, works for me.  What does `C-h k DEL' on an article in Summary (or
inside the article buffer) say?

> The questions are, when I catch-up a group and then re-enter,
> specifying n number of articles to bring up, all the articles are
> colored cyan and have an O to the left of the article.  What does this
> mean?

I think, the color shows the article's score.  The O means "old".

,----[ (info "(gnus)Loose Threads") ]
| `gnus-summary-make-false-root'
|      If non-`nil', Gnus will gather all loose subtrees into one big tree
|      and create a dummy root at the top.  (Wait a minute.  Root at the
|      top?  Yup.)  Loose subtrees occur when the real root has expired,
|      or you've read or killed the root in a previous session.
|
|      When there is no real root of a thread, Gnus will have to fudge
|      something.  This variable says what fudging method Gnus should use.
|      There are four possible values:
|
|     `adopt'
|           Gnus will make the first of the orphaned articles the parent.
|           This parent will adopt all the other articles.  The adopted
|           articles will be marked as such by pointy brackets (`<>')
|           instead of the standard square brackets (`[]').  This is the
|           default method.
|
|     `dummy'
|           [...]
`----

HTH,
Tassilo

* Re: gnus gnub question
@ 2009-05-30 11:27 ` Frédéric Perrin
       [not found] ` <mailman.8139.1243683065.31690.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
From: Frédéric Perrin @ 2009-05-30 11:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: notbob; +Cc: info-gnus-english

Hello,

Le Samedi 30 à 7:02, notbob@bb.nothome.com a écrit :
> According to O'Reilly's Learning Gnu Emacs, DEL is the key to scroll
> an article backwards.  It doesn't work for me.  I get this in the
> mini-buffer:
>
> Buffer is read-only: #<buffer *Summary gnu.emacs.gnus*>
>
> I'm running emacs 22.2.1.  Is there a different scroll back key, now?

On a standard PC keybord without modifications, in Emacs parlance DEL is
the key with a left arrow above your RET key, not the one labelled DELETE.

> The questions are, when I catch-up a group and then re-enter,
> specifying n number of articles to bring up, all the articles are
> colored cyan and have an O to the left of the article.  What does this
> mean?

It means they are marked as read but not read.

,---- (info "(Gnus) Read Articles")
| `O'
|      Articles that were marked as read in previous sessions and are now
|      "old" (`gnus-ancient-mark').
`----

The dark blue face is gnus-summary-normal-ancient, « Face used for
normal interest ancient articles ».

>        Also, in summary buffer, what do article titles bracketed with
> greater/lesser brackets mean ( < subject > )?

That is used by Gnus when it tries to hook articles to a thread based on
something other than In-Reply-To: on References: headers.

> I hope this posts.  ;)

It did :-)

--
Fred

* Re: gnus gnub question
       [not found] ` <mailman.8139.1243683065.31690.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
@ 2009-05-31 14:29   ` notbob
From: notbob @ 2009-05-31 14:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Frédéric Perrin <frederic.perrin@resel.fr> writes:

> On a standard PC keybord without modifications, in Emacs parlance DEL is
> the key with a left arrow above your RET key, not the one labelled DELETE.

Bingo!  That's it.

I thought I tried "Backspace" (<---) and it didn't work, but I guess
I didn't.  Thank you for your help.

nb