* wrong count article.
@ 2006-11-06 10:41 François Lagarde
From: François Lagarde @ 2006-11-06 10:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

I use nnmail for all my mails. I get a bad count articles.

Doing "G E" gives me
,----
| ;;; Editing the group info for `nnml:cea'.
| ;; Type `C-c C-c' after you've finished editing.
|
| ("nnml:XXX" 3
|  ((1 . 1756))
|  ((seen 1564 1583 1634 1653
| 	(1658 . 1659))
|   (cache 1564))
|  "nnml:"
|  ((timestamp 17743 4226)))
`----
i have only 7 mails, and when I select the folder, I have the question how many
| articles would you receive found 203 articles.

I found also this post http://www.gatago.com/gnu/emacs/gnus/15440269.html
but it seems as being still unresolved.

thanks.

--
F. Lagarde

* Re: wrong count article.
@ 2006-11-06 20:08 ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2006-11-06 20:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, Nov 06 2006, François Lagarde wrote:

> ,----
> | ;;; Editing the group info for `nnml:cea'.
> | ;; Type `C-c C-c' after you've finished editing.
> |
> | ("nnml:XXX" 3
> |  ((1 . 1756))
> |  ((seen 1564 1583 1634 1653
> | 	(1658 . 1659))
> |   (cache 1564))
> |  "nnml:"
> |  ((timestamp 17743 4226)))
> `----

> i have only 7 mails, and when I select the folder, I have the
> question how many
> | articles would you receive found 203 articles.

Does it help to remove the cached article?  See "(cache 1564)" above?

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)

* Re: wrong count article.
@ 2006-11-07  8:32   ` François Lagarde
From: François Lagarde @ 2006-11-07  8:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

In the last post, on 11/06 around 09h, "Reiner" (Reiner Steib) wrote:

       Reiner> Does it help to remove the cached article?  See "(cache 1564)"
       Reiner> above?

no it doesn't affect my count article. I think that one of the problem could be
that when I move an article, it doesn't decrease the counter.

--
F. Lagarde

* Re: wrong count article.
@ 2006-11-14 17:12 ` Rud1ger Sch1erz
From: Rud1ger Sch1erz @ 2006-11-14 17:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

firstname.name@gmail.com (François Lagarde) writes:

> I use nnmail for all my mails. I get a bad count articles.

This is in the FAQ:

,----[ Question 4.12: ]

| The number of total messages in a group which Gnus  displays in group
| buffer is by far to high, especially in  mail groups. Is this a bug?
|
|    Answer:
|
|    No, that's a matter of design of Gnus, fixing this would  mean
| reimplementation of major parts of Gnus'  back ends. Gnus thinks
| "highest-article-number -  lowest-article-number =
| total-number-of-articles". This  works OK for Usenet groups, but if you
| delete and move  many messages in mail groups, this fails. To cure the
| symptom, enter the group via `C-u RET'  (this makes Gnus get all
| messages), then  hit `M P b' to mark all messages and  then say `B m
| name.of.group' to move  all messages to the group they have been in
| before, they  get new message numbers in this process and the count is
| right again (until you delete and move your mail to other  groups
| again).
`----

Alternatively you can run:

`M-x nnml-generate-nov-databases RET':

,----[ (info "(gnus)Mail Spool") ]
|    If your `nnml' groups and NOV files get totally out of whack, you
| can do a complete update by typing `M-x nnml-generate-nov-databases'.
| This command will trawl through the entire `nnml' hierarchy, looking at
| each and every article, so it might take a while to complete.  A better
| interface to this functionality can be found in the server buffer
| (*note Server Commands::).
`----

HTH,
Rudiger

--
Achtung, dieses Posting ist mit sublimalen Werbeeinblendungen hinterlegt.

* Re: wrong count article.
@ 2006-11-20 10:33   ` François Lagarde
From: François Lagarde @ 2006-11-20 10:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

In the last post, on 11/14 around 06h, "Rud1ger" (Rud1ger Sch1erz) wrote:

       Rud1ger> firstname.name@gmail.com (François Lagarde) writes:
       >> I use nnmail for all my mails. I get a bad count articles.

       Rud1ger> This is in the FAQ:
       Rud1ger> Alternatively you can run:
       Rud1ger> `M-x nnml-generate-nov-databases RET':
       Rud1ger> HTH, Rudiger

thanks for your help, but I tested these two methods without success. However I
am right to think that this bad result is a consequence of moving my mail (from
my nnml).

Anyway I keep in mind these functions.

best regards.

--