* Article buffer mode-line charset indicator shows windows-1252
@ 2006-02-17  7:15 Neil Woods
From: Neil Woods @ 2006-02-17  7:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'm currently running the latest Debian packaged emacs-snapshot,
together with the latest No Gnus (checked out today).

The character set indicator on the mode-line in the article buffer
incorrectly indicates that the article displayed is a windows-1252
buffer (it show a "*", which the tooltip indicates as windows-1252).

This happens in nearly all cases, even articles with specific MIME
headers indicating, e.g.,
and articles with no MIME headers.

After a cursory examination it seems articles marked with a
charset="us-ascii" MIME header are not affected, and show up with a "1"
in the mode-line.

The only settings I have in my ~/.emacs that could possibly be relevant
are

(set-language-environment "Latin-1")

This has been happening for some time now. It does not happen if I use
the Gnus version that comes bundled with emacs-snapshot (5.11).

Is this a known bug, or what am I missing here?

I've checked the usual places (Google, newsgroup searches) but haven't
been able to find anything relevant.

Any help would be greatly appreciated in trying to track this down.
--
Neil.
<Shinobi> There are worse things than Perl....ASP comes to mind

* Re: Article buffer mode-line charset indicator shows windows-1252
@ 2006-02-17  8:15 ` Katsumi Yamaoka
From: Katsumi Yamaoka @ 2006-02-17  8:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

> I'm currently running the latest Debian packaged emacs-snapshot,
> together with the latest No Gnus (checked out today).

> The character set indicator on the mode-line in the article buffer
> incorrectly indicates that the article displayed is a windows-1252
> buffer (it show a "*", which the tooltip indicates as windows-1252).

> This happens in nearly all cases, even articles with specific MIME
> headers indicating, e.g.,
> and articles with no MIME headers.

The latest Gnus treats iso-8859-1 as windows-1252 by default.
Because it is thought that windows-1252 is a superset of
iso-8859-1.  Actually, some articles use windows-1252 even if
they are labeled with iso-8859-1.  So, Gnus' default will be
useful to decode such articles correctly.  Though you can
invalidate it by: (setq mm-charset-override-alist nil)

* Re: Article buffer mode-line charset indicator shows windows-1252
@ 2006-02-17  9:12   ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2006-02-17  9:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, Feb 17 2006, Katsumi Yamaoka wrote:

> The latest Gnus treats iso-8859-1 as windows-1252 by default.
> Because it is thought that windows-1252 is a superset of
> iso-8859-1.

"it is thought that" sounds a bit weak.  ;-)  windows-1252 *is* a
proper superset of iso-8859-1.

,----[ <f1> v mm-charset-override-alist RET ]
| mm-charset-override-alist is a variable defined in `mm-util.el'.
| Its value is ((iso-8859-1 . windows-1252))
|
| Documentation:
| A mapping from undesired charset names to their replacement.
|
| You may add pair like (iso-8859-1 . windows-1252) here,
| i.e. treat iso-8859-1 as windows-1252.  windows-1252 is a
| superset of iso-8859-1.
|
| You can customize this variable.
`----

Oops, typo in the doc string.

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)

* Re: Article buffer mode-line charset indicator shows windows-1252
@ 2006-02-17  9:40   ` Neil Woods
From: Neil Woods @ 2006-02-17  9:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

>> I'm currently running the latest Debian packaged emacs-snapshot,
>> together with the latest No Gnus (checked out today).
>
>> The character set indicator on the mode-line in the article buffer
>> incorrectly indicates that the article displayed is a windows-1252
>> buffer (it show a "*", which the tooltip indicates as windows-1252).
>
>> This happens in nearly all cases, even articles with specific MIME
>> headers indicating, e.g.,
>> and articles with no MIME headers.
>
> The latest Gnus treats iso-8859-1 as windows-1252 by default.
> Because it is thought that windows-1252 is a superset of
> iso-8859-1.  Actually, some articles use windows-1252 even if
> they are labeled with iso-8859-1.  So, Gnus' default will be
> useful to decode such articles correctly.  Though you can
> invalidate it by: (setq mm-charset-override-alist nil)

Excellent! Many thanks for your quick response.
--
Neil.
The glances over cocktails