* Gmail Woes! BBDB Woes!
@ 2006-05-04 16:23 xyblor
From: xyblor @ 2006-05-04 16:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

How do I receive my Gmail through Gnus?

When Gnus tries to get my gmail, it hangs with the message:
"nnml: reading incoming mail from pop..."

This is what I have in my .gnus.el:

(setq gnus-secondary-select-methods '( [...]
				      (nnml "")))

(load "ssl')

(setq mail-sources '( [...]
                     (pop
		      :server "pop.gmail.com"
		      :port 995
		      :user "my-username"
		      :password "my-password"
		      :connection ssl
		      :leave t)))

I'm using Gnus v5.10.7 with XEmacs on Windows XP, and I've got OpenSSL
and gnutls through Cygwin. Sounds scary, I know, but it seems to work
when I test it:

(open-ssl-stream "ssl-process"
                 (get-buffer-create "ssl")
                 "pop.gmail.com"
                 995)
==>
verify depth is 0
depth=0 /C=US/ST=California/L=Mountain View/O=Google Inc./CN=pop.gmail.com
verify error:num=20:unable to get local issuer certificate
verify return:1
depth=0 /C=US/ST=California/L=Mountain View/O=Google Inc./CN=pop.gmail.com
verify error:num=27:certificate not trusted
verify return:1
depth=0 /C=US/ST=California/L=Mountain View/O=Google Inc./CN=pop.gmail.com
verify error:num=21:unable to verify the first certificate
verify return:1
+OK Gpop ready q16pf386646qbq

I haven't confirmed that tls is working, but as I understand it, I
shouldn't need tls because I only want to receive gmail, not send it.

Any ideas?

My other question is how do I get BBDB to automatically add the
addresses of people I write mail to? I've already done
(bbdb-initialize 'gnus 'message), but that doesn't seem to be
sufficient.

Thanks!

* Re: Gmail Woes! BBDB Woes!
@ 2006-05-04 20:16 ` Adam Sjøgren
From: Adam Sjøgren @ 2006-05-04 20:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, 04 May 2006 12:23:10 -0400, xyblor wrote:

> My other question is how do I get BBDB to automatically add the
> addresses of people I write mail to? I've already done
> (bbdb-initialize 'gnus 'message), but that doesn't seem to be
> sufficient.

You probably want to tweak this variable:

,----[ C-h v bbdb/news-auto-create-p RET ]
| `bbdb/news-auto-create-p' is a variable declared in Lisp.
|   -- loaded from "bbdb"
|
| Value: nil
|
| Documentation:
| *If this is t, then GNUS will automatically create new bbdb
| records for people you receive mail from.  If this is a function name
| or lambda, then it is called with no arguments to decide whether an
| entry should be automatically created.  You can use this to, for
| example, create or not create messages which have a particular
| subject.  If you want to autocreate messages based on the current
| newsgroup, it's probably a better idea to set this variable to t or
| nil from your `gnus-select-group-hook' instead.
`----

  Best regards,

--
 "we will have more products in several months, your          Adam Sjøgren
  patience is recommended."                              asjo@koldfront.dk

* Re: Gmail Woes! BBDB Woes!
@ 2006-05-05  3:40   ` xyblor
From: xyblor @ 2006-05-05  3:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

> On Thu, 04 May 2006 12:23:10 -0400, xyblor wrote:
>
>> My other question is how do I get BBDB to automatically add the
>> addresses of people I write mail to? I've already done
>> (bbdb-initialize 'gnus 'message), but that doesn't seem to be
>> sufficient.
>
> You probably want to tweak this variable:
>
> ,----[ C-h v bbdb/news-auto-create-p RET ]
> | `bbdb/news-auto-create-p' is a variable declared in Lisp.
> |   -- loaded from "bbdb"
> |
> | Value: nil
> |
> | Documentation:
> | *If this is t, then GNUS will automatically create new bbdb
> | records for people you receive mail from.  If this is a function name
> | or lambda, then it is called with no arguments to decide whether an
> | entry should be automatically created.  You can use this to, for
> | example, create or not create messages which have a particular
> | subject.  If you want to autocreate messages based on the current
> | newsgroup, it's probably a better idea to set this variable to t or
> | nil from your `gnus-select-group-hook' instead.
> `----

Thanks for the tip! I customized bbdb/news-auto-create-p to
message-mail-p, because I don't want to add entries for every news
article I read (sorry everyone). Now it would be nice to weed out mail
addresses received through mailing lists. I guess I'll have to make a
function for gnus-select-group-hook.