* Re: pgg passphrase cache expiry not honored?
       [not found] <ir4ipy3lucb.fsf@gmail.com>
@ 2011-01-06  6:35 ` Brett Viren
       [not found] ` <mailman.7.1294295740.24722.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
From: Brett Viren @ 2011-01-06  6:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

On Wed, Jan 5, 2011 at 1:48 AM, Brett Viren <brett.viren@gmail.com> wrote:

> I want to move to GPG signed email with GNUS v5.13 / emacs 23.2.  It
> seems the best way to do that is with PGG but am having trouble telling
> it to cache my GPG passphrase longer than the default which is only a
> few seconds.

Just for closure, I found a work-around and that is to rely on
gpg-agent to cache the passphrase instead of PGG/Gnus.
Here is what led me to this solution:

http://www.gnus.org/manual/message_27.html

-Brett.

@ 2011-01-06 13:44   ` Richard Riley
From: Richard Riley @ 2011-01-06 13:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Brett Viren <brett.viren@gmail.com> writes:

> On Wed, Jan 5, 2011 at 1:48 AM, Brett Viren <brett.viren@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> I want to move to GPG signed email with GNUS v5.13 / emacs 23.2.  It
>> seems the best way to do that is with PGG but am having trouble telling
>> it to cache my GPG passphrase longer than the default which is only a
>> few seconds.
>
> Just for closure, I found a work-around and that is to rely on
> gpg-agent to cache the passphrase instead of PGG/Gnus.
> Here is what led me to this solution:
>
> http://www.gnus.org/manual/message_27.html
>
> -Brett.

I'm not sure why this is a workaround : its what gpg-agent is for. Its
handy because it can provide the keys for other activities outside of
emacs too.

You might also consider using keychain.

In my .bash_env I have

keychain --quiet
source $HOME/.keychain/$HOSTNAME-sh-gpg > /dev/null 2>&1

ans my gpg-conf is simple

use-agent

cheers

r.

* pgg passphrase cache expiry not honored?
@ 2011-01-05  8:56 Brett Viren
From: Brett Viren @ 2011-01-05  8:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Hi,

Maybe this is not Gnus related.  If off topic, feel free to tell me to
take a flying leap.

I want to move to GPG signed email with GNUS v5.13 / emacs 23.2.  It
seems the best way to do that is with PGG but am having trouble telling
it to cache my GPG passphrase longer than the default which is only a
few seconds.

Here is my setup, based on the emacs wiki and including some scatter
shotgun attempts:

(require 'pgg)
(setq mm-verify-option 'known)
(setq mm-decrypt-option 'known)
(setq gnus-buttonized-mime-types '("multipart/encrypted" "multipart/signed"))
(add-hook 'message-send-hook 'mml-secure-message-sign-pgpmime)
(setq pgg-cache-passphrase 't
      pgg-passphrase-cache-expiry 86400
      passphrase-cache-expiry 86400
      cache-passphrase t
      password-cache t
      password-cache-expiry 86400
      passphrase-cache t
      passphrase-cache-expiry 86400
      pgg-default-user-id "bv")

Any ideas as to how I can increase the passphrase caching time?

Thanks,
-Brett.