* All articles loaded when entering a group.
@ 2010-12-12 20:44 Brett Viren
From: Brett Viren @ 2010-12-12 20:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Hi,

I sent this request for help a few weeks ago but it looks like it
never showed up (I posted through gmane).  My apologies if it did.

I've been introducing some new elements into my use of Gnus and it has
led to some problems.  I hope someone can give me some pointers as to
how they can be fixed.

First, my setup:

I get email delivered to my workstation through procmail which writes
out to ~/Maildir/.  These folders are served via IMAP (Dovecot) to
nnimap.

I also read email on my laptop which also runs a Dovecot server
serving the local ~/Maildir/.  The two are synced with OfflineIMAP in
IMAP-to-IMAP mode.  (I use the trick of overriding
imaputil.flagsmaildir2imap so I can sync gnus-expire, gnus-dormant,
gnus-forward and gnus-save flags).

I also use Notmuch to index both copies, but I don't think this is
involved in my problem.

Okay, the problem is that sometime during this migration Gnus changed
its behavior as to how it would enter a group.  Normally, I hit ENTER
on a group and only new or marked articles will be loaded.  Now,  Gnus
want to retrieve *all* articles as if I am dong C-u ENTER.  For
example, entering my "default" group prompts me with:

  How many articles from nnimap+bnl:default (default 21186):

I can enter a smaller number but if I have some marked article I want
to get back to I have to guess how far back it might be.

Does anyone have a clue as to why this change of behavior happened
and, more importantly, how I can figure out how to fix it?

Much thanks,
-Brett.

* Re: All articles loaded when entering a group.
       [not found]   ` <mailman.1.1292589318.332.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
@ 2010-12-22 15:58   ` Brett Viren
From: Brett Viren @ 2010-12-22 15:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen; +Cc: info-gnus-english

On Thu, Dec 16, 2010 at 2:27 PM, Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org> wrote:
> Brett Viren <brett.viren@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Does anyone have a clue as to why this change of behavior happened
>> and, more importantly, how I can figure out how to fix it?
>
> Do you have `gnus-fetch-old-headers' set?

Well, this is rather embarrassing....

I finally found the difference in my new setup that was causing my
problem.  I had a gnus-parameters setting of "(display . all)".  As
they say, "well, there's your problem".

@ 2010-12-21  0:40   ` Brett Viren
From: Brett Viren @ 2010-12-21  0:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: intrigeri; +Cc: info-gnus-english

On Mon, Dec 20, 2010 at 5:53 PM, intrigeri <intrigeri+emacs@boum.org> wrote:

> You are right, by default OfflineIMAP does not synchronize Gnus flags
> properly. Working workaround:
>
> http://roland.entierement.nu/blog/2010/09/08/gnus-dovecot-offlineimap-search-a-howto.html

Thanks, but I did follow this for my setup.  I use the same trick to
pass along other gnus flags, by including these in the map

               'gnus-dormant': 'Q',
               'gnus-forward': 'W',
               'gnus-save': 'V',

and their reverse in the reverse map.

But, just now I found out that with the Gnus install that was working
I was using a different .gnus file than I thought (doh!).  So, I
should be able to go through the two and see what is different.  I'll
post if I get it figured out.

@ 2010-12-20 22:53 ` intrigeri
From: intrigeri @ 2010-12-20 22:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Hi,

Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen wrote (20 Dec 2010 19:06:22 GMT) :
> Brett Viren <brett.viren@gmail.com> writes:

>> It is Gnus on my laptop that continues to have the problem.  It reads
>> from IMAP after an IMAP-to-IMAP sync from my main IMAP server through
>> OfflineIMAP.  If not the ordering causing this,  maybe some flags are
>> not being properly persisted.

You are right, by default OfflineIMAP does not synchronize Gnus flags
properly. Working workaround:

http://roland.entierement.nu/blog/2010/09/08/gnus-dovecot-offlineimap-search-a-howto.html

> Oh.  offlineimap.  Seemingly 95.4% of bug reports on nnimap are related
> to offlineimap.  Perhaps I should just install it and find out how
> nnimap is messing up its communication with offlineimap...

AFAIK Gnus does not communicate at all with offlineimap in the
scenario Brett described. But... most people who use offlineimap in
such a way also use a local IMAP server that pretty often is Dovecot.
This might be a better target to look at.

(2cts blah)

Bye,
--
  intrigeri <intrigeri@boum.org>

@ 2010-12-20 19:06 Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2010-12-20 19:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Brett Viren; +Cc: info-gnus-english

@ 2010-12-20 18:34       ` Brett Viren
From: Brett Viren @ 2010-12-20 18:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen; +Cc: info-gnus-english

On Fri, Dec 17, 2010 at 12:29 PM, Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
<larsi@gnus.org> wrote:

> If you only have (say) five unread articles, but Gnus shows you a
> summary buffer with a lot of articles, then I don't think article
> ordering can be a problem.

Okay.

I've noticed that recently Gnus reading from my main IMAP server seems
to be settling down with respect to this problem.

It is Gnus on my laptop that continues to have the problem.  It reads
from IMAP after an IMAP-to-IMAP sync from my main IMAP server through
OfflineIMAP.  If not the ordering causing this,  maybe some flags are
not being properly persisted.

Thanks for any other ideas that may come up.

From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2010-12-17 17:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

@ 2010-12-17 12:13   ` Brett Viren
       [not found]   ` <mailman.1.1292589318.332.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
From: Brett Viren @ 2010-12-17 12:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen; +Cc: info-gnus-english

On Thu, Dec 16, 2010 at 2:27 PM, Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org> wrote:
> Brett Viren <brett.viren@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Does anyone have a clue as to why this change of behavior happened
>> and, more importantly, how I can figure out how to fix it?
>
> Do you have `gnus-fetch-old-headers' set?

No.

Could it be due to an article ordering issue?  For a while, some of my
email groups didn't exhibit the problem.  But as I played with
offlineimap and re-procmail'ed some groups, they began to want to fall
into this "load all" mode.

Thanks for the reply,
-Brett.

* Re: All articles loaded when entering a group.
       [not found] <mailman.14.1292186706.18751.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
@ 2010-12-16 19:27 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
                     ` (2 more replies)
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2010-12-16 19:27 UTC (permalink / raw)