* XEmacs + Gnus problem on Win XP
@ 2005-12-21 10:00 Kristian Kerola
From: Kristian Kerola @ 2005-12-21 10:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

I decided to start following my news at home on my Windows XP computer. Installed XEmacs 21.4.18 and used its package handling system to download Gnus 5.10.7 and the packages required by it.  Everything fine so far but not after this point.  When I start Gnus first everything appeas fine but as it starts connecting to nntp-server it freezes.  Actually, freezing is bit misleading expression as Xemacs obviously is doing something since it uses like 90% of CPU-time.  Gnus however, wont advance from this point.  I tried waiting for quite a while.

I used a simple port forwading script and I can tell the connection is formed and nntp-server sends reply:

200 Sonera corp Internet services -- http://fi.soneraplaza.net/ (Twister v2.0.7. 348)\r\n

Gnus just does seem to react to this in any way.  It never sends anything back to the server.

Any ideas what could be wrong and how to fix it?

Thanks

--
kristian

* Re: XEmacs + Gnus problem on Win XP <-- knit picking your post
@ 2005-12-21 10:17 ` My Haz
From: My Haz @ 2005-12-21 10:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

use M-Q to make the paragraphs fit :D

SorryI  don't use winXP so I'm not any help

Cheers
- Haz

--
I run faster with a knife, everyone runs faster with a knife.

* Re: XEmacs + Gnus problem on Win XP <-- knit picking your post
@ 2005-12-21 22:36   ` Katsumi Yamaoka
From: Katsumi Yamaoka @ 2005-12-21 22:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

> use M-Q to make the paragraphs fit :D

Or you can use `W Q' in the summary buffer.

> Hello,

> I decided to start following my news at home on my Windows XP
> computer. Installed XEmacs 21.4.18 and used its package handling
> system to download Gnus 5.10.7 and the packages required by it.
> Everything fine so far but not after this point.  When I start Gnus
> first everything appeas fine but as it starts connecting to
> nntp-server it freezes.  Actually, freezing is bit misleading
> expression as Xemacs obviously is doing something since it uses like
> 90% of CPU-time.  Gnus however, wont advance from this point.  I tried
> waiting for quite a while.

> I used a simple port forwading script

Using ssh?

> and I can tell the connection is formed and nntp-server sends reply:

> 200 Sonera corp Internet services -- http://fi.soneraplaza.net/
> (Twister v2.0.7. 348)\r\n

> Gnus just does seem to react to this in any way.  It never sends
> anything back to the server.

> Any ideas what could be wrong and how to fix it?

How have you set the `gnus-select-method' variable?  If the nntp
port is forwarded to the port number 1190 in the localhost named
"localhost", you may want to have set it as follows:

(setq gnus-select-method
      '(nntp "localhost" (nntp-port-number 1190)))

You can consult the Gnus Info manual for all kind of such things.

* Re: XEmacs + Gnus problem on Win XP <-- knit picking your post
@ 2005-12-22 12:30   ` Kristian Kerola
From: Kristian Kerola @ 2005-12-22 12:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

My Haz wrote:
> use M-Q to make the paragraphs fit :D

Yes, I think you see my point there.
One of the reasons I would like start using Gnus at home too.

--
krisu

* Re: XEmacs + Gnus problem on Win XP <-- knit picking your post
@ 2005-12-22 12:37     ` Kristian Kerola
From: Kristian Kerola @ 2005-12-22 12:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

Katsumi Yamaoka wrote:

>>I used a simple port forwading script
> Using ssh?

No, it is a little Perl-script that prints out on screen
all the traffic it passes through.  That is how I know
that NNTP-server sends a correct reply in the beginning
of a connection but Gnus/XEmacs doesn't react to it.

Maybe I expressed myself badly in my previous post,
but I don't get Gnus working with or without port forwading.

> How have you set the `gnus-select-method' variable?  If the nntp
> port is forwarded to the port number 1190 in the localhost named
> "localhost", you may want to have set it as follows:
>
> (setq gnus-select-method
>       '(nntp "localhost" (nntp-port-number 1190)))

I don't see how I could have messed that one up, since like I said
I correctly get the first response line from NNTP-server.

> You can consult the Gnus Info manual for all kind of such things.

Which I indeed did for 2 days before posting my first question here.

I guess my followup question is: Is anyone actually using Gnus
on Win XP and XEmacs?  Does the combination work?

--
krisu

* Re: XEmacs + Gnus problem on Win XP <-- knit picking your post
@ 2005-12-22 13:13       ` Kristian Kerola
From: Kristian Kerola @ 2005-12-22 13:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

Related to my earlier posts, the following manually executed elisp
code causes the same freezeup and 95% CPU-usage on my xemacs (21.4.18)
as trying to start Gnus:

    (open-network-stream "test" "TEST" "news.inet.fi" 119)

I take it this means the problem is in xemacs and not in Gnus?
Any ideas for solution I would still appreciate.

--
krisu