From: "Elias Mårtenson" <lokedhs@gmail.com>
To: "Adam Sjøgren" <asjo@koldfront.dk>
Cc: info-gnus-english@gnu.org
Subject: Re: "Forward" in the standard way
Date: Sat, 9 Apr 2016 11:38:57 +0800	[thread overview]

On 6 April 2016 at 16:46, Adam Sjøgren <asjo@koldfront.dk> wrote:

 * elide all "full-bottom-quoted" emails, preferably with a line for
>    each, togglable,
>
>      or
>
>  * reformat an email containing a thread of emails full-bottom-quoted
>    into the "correct" format (top quoted)
>
> I guess the latter isn't that useful, but sometimes I reformat threads
> to make them understandable.

Fair enough (and yes, I'm aware of the fact that I made a mistake with my

The first suggestion is what Gmail is doing, I believe, and it seems to
work quite well.

The second suggestion is not really workable. Anyone who has been working
in an organisation that uses Outlook extensively (like where I work) knows
that the chains become very long, and reformatting to put the entire
message (or even message chain) on top would make it incredibly difficult
to read.

My tool does not address this at all. In fact, using shr to render the HTML
Outlook emails works really well in almost all cases, and for the remaining
ones all you need to do is to press K H to render it in a browser.

My tool ensures that the reply chain is preserved when you reply. Believe
it or not, but in many companies, when someone wants to inform another
person of a previous discussion, he simply forwards the email to the
recipient, and the entire chain is there for him. Thus, you need to make
sure that no matter how you write your mails, you need to ensure that the
previous chain is preserved, including inline images etc. That is what my
tool does.

I'm brining this up here, because I feel that this functionality should be
part of Gnus. However, my tool is not suitable for this, due to the fact
that it does the HTML rewriting using an external program. If there was an
Elisp implementation of a parser that supports the HTML→DOM→Edit→DOM→HTML
workflow, I'd be happy to implement it.

Regards,
Elias