* Troubles with Gnus 5.8.8
@ 2002-09-05  2:05 Lutt, Paul
From: Lutt, Paul @ 2002-09-05  2:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

I recently switched from Gnus 5.7 on Redhat Linux 7.0 to Gnus 5.8.8 on
Redhat Linux 7.2.  I had been using procmail to shuffle incoming mailing
lists and then nnml in Gnus to create mail groups for the mailing lists.
This worked great.

The Gnus 5.8.8 servers configuration is different and I made the
appropriate changes so that I could continue to process the mailing lists
using procmail and nnml.

When I start Gnus, it processes any "spooled" mailing list messages and
moves them to the nnml hierarchy, including updating the .overview files.

Now the weird part.  The Group buffer doesn't show the mailing list
groups.  Fine, I just invoke the server management screen and subscribe to
the groups.  When I leave the server management screen, the groups appear
in the Group buffer.  I can select the groups and see the message
summaries.

When I quit Gnus and then start it up again later, the mailing list groups
disappear, even though I haven't actually read any of the messages.  I can
start up the server management and the groups are there, but unsubscribed.
I can subscribe to them, in which case the whole cycle repeats as
described above.

Similarly, me normal Usenet newgroups disappear as well.  Initially they
were there, but once I quit and restart Gnus, they disappear.

I tried removing the .newsrc.eld file.  When I do this and go through the
motions of subscribing to the mailing list groups and then quit Gnus, the
contents of the .newsrc.eld file that is created looks reasonable.  I see
all my Usenet groups imported from the .newsrc file and I see the mailing
list groups.  However, when I start Gnus again, everything disappears and
when I quit Gnus, the resulting .newsrc.eld file doesn't show any of the
groups at all.

I even tried blowing away the active file and all the existing mail group
directories.  When I start Gnus, nnml recreates everything just as I would
expect it and all the new mail is in the hierarchy just as I would expect.

I've looked through the gnu.emacs.gnus archive on Google and I don't see
anything that sounds like the problems I am encountering.  I'm hoping
someone out there can lend me a hand.  Thanks.

Paul Lutt
plutt@cedarcomm.com

only message in thread, other threads:[~2002-09-05  2:05 UTC | newest]