* top & bottom posting
@ 2002-12-16  8:19 Sivaram Neelakantan
From: Sivaram Neelakantan @ 2002-12-16  8:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

How do I top post when I do replies?  Please dont flame for this, for
most people where I work, they completely ignore the bottom posting
style thus messing up the mail thread.  When I hit R , the signature
appears appears at the bottom & the cursor is at the line below "Some
person" <someperson@doofusemail.com> writes:
I'd like it to be that the cursor is at the first line in the body
with the signature below it.  Of course, if it can be made to choose
the style based on the  addresses I'm replying to i.e specific
emails,mailing lists that would be a treat!

It's not working, trying to get some of co workers understand why I
bottom post hence this post.  I've pointed to all the netiquette urls
and still the mixed style replies!

from-forced-against-my-will dept
Sivaram

* Re: top & bottom posting
@ 2002-12-16 10:07 ` Kai Großjohann
       [not found]   ` <87n0n52yb1.fsf@kuntu.zangpo.org>
       [not found]   ` <a7043d61.0212162056.fa92f39@posting.google.com>
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2002-12-16 10:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

sivaramn@sunguru.com (Sivaram Neelakantan) writes:

> How do I top post when I do replies?

Is it enough to hit C-c C-b C-o?

* Re: top & bottom posting
       [not found]         ` <m3y96o3d7v.fsf@latakia.dyndns.org>
@ 2002-12-17 15:17           ` Andrew J. Korty
From: Andrew J. Korty @ 2002-12-17 15:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

ruhl@4dv.net (Robert Uhl <ruhl@4dv.net>) writes:

> This whole discussion has ignored one very important thing: top-posting
> is to be _very_ strongly discouraged.  It is _poor_ style, hard to read,
> difficult to understand and leads to over-long posts--and thus, wastes
> of bandwidth.  It has no good points.  So if gnus makes it difficult,
> this is actually a Good Thing, believe it or not.

Does Gnus have any predefined capacity to invert top-posted threads?
I *hate* trying to read backwards through a long discussion from a
group of Outlook users.  I've tried gnus-outlook-deuglify-article, but
it doesn't usually do much.

--
Andrew J. Korty, Principal Security Engineer
Office of the Vice President for Information Technology

@ 2002-12-17 20:57           ` Dave Bennett
From: Dave Bennett @ 2002-12-17 20:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

Maybe you enjoy playing with the mouse or changing windows to press
page down, but I do not.  Top posting allows me to immediately see

* Re: top & bottom posting
@ 2002-12-18  3:20             ` Galen Boyer
From: Galen Boyer @ 2002-12-18  3:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, 17 Dec 2002, me@privacy.net wrote:
> ruhl@4dv.net (Robert Uhl <ruhl@4dv.net>) writes:
>
>> This whole discussion has ignored one very important thing:
>> top-posting is to be _very_ strongly discouraged.  It is _poor_
>> style, hard to read, difficult to understand and leads to over-long
>> posts--and thus, wastes of bandwidth.  It has no good points.  So if
>> gnus makes it difficult, this is actually a Good Thing, believe it or
>> not.
>
> Does Gnus have any predefined capacity to invert top-posted threads?
> I *hate* trying to read backwards through a long discussion from a
> group of Outlook users.  I've tried gnus-outlook-deuglify-article, but
> it doesn't usually do much.

I started using this a few weeks ago.
(setq gnus-treat-hide-citation t)

Collapses all cited text to a [+].  You need to then have `W W c` handy
to uncollapse.  You could make gnus notice you are in a group with
mainly outlook users and this would come in "real" handy.
--
Galen deForest Boyer

* Re: top & bottom posting
       [not found]     ` <84y96png7m.fsf@lucy.cs.uni-dortmund.de>
@ 2002-12-18 13:01       ` Sivaram Neelakantan
From: Sivaram Neelakantan @ 2002-12-18 13:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

kai.grossjohann@uni-duisburg.de (Kai Großjohann) wrote in message news:<84y96png7m.fsf@lucy.cs.uni-dortmund.de>...
<snip>
> If that's what you like, I'm sure that a more convenient way can be
> found instead of C-c C-b ... C-o.

Dare i ask how? :) BTW, it still leaves a line --  at the end of the
buffer, going by what you say.  Since I do have a .signature, it
appears at the bottom.  That's why I was wondering whether a 'R' hook
which inserts user defined data(in this case a newline & a -- ) before
the original message body is available.

regards,
Sivaram

* Re: top & bottom posting
@ 2002-12-18 16:13               ` Dave Bennett
From: Dave Bennett @ 2002-12-18 16:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'm going to try that.  It'll definitely make searching through
interleaved posted messages much easier.

* Re: top & bottom posting
@ 2002-12-18 18:14             ` Robert Uhl <ruhl@4dv.net>
From: Robert Uhl <ruhl@4dv.net> @ 2002-12-18 18:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dave Bennett <dbennett@micoks.net> writes:

> Maybe you enjoy playing with the mouse or changing windows to press
> page down, but I do not.

I do not either--which is why I trim my quotes to the bare amount
necessary.

> Top posting allows me to immediately see responses to the discussion
> at hand.

Without context.  E.g., had it not been for the fact that I know what
you're responding to, your comment would make no sense--it would appear
to be apropos to nothing.  But, but quoting a relevant item of text, my
replies are understood in the context they were made.

> I never read bottom posted responses at all.

That's a pity, as that means you must not read 11/12ths of the responses
out there.

--
Robert Uhl <ruhl@4dv.net>
I'm talking RFCs where you're talking Microsoft.  --Alan J. Rosenthal