* Re: Close, but not complete, POP3 solutions for gnus
       [not found]   ` <bsdgfecz.fsf@jtan.com>
@ 2002-03-23  1:58     ` Garglemonster
From: Garglemonster @ 2002-03-23  1:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

    Seth> Thierry Vignaud <tvignaud@mandrakesoft.com> writes:
    >> Peter Davis <pd@world.std.com> writes:
    >>
    >> > I would love to be able to use gnus as my mail reader, but I
    >> can't.  > Basically, I'm using two POP3 servers, one for work,
    >> and one for home.
    Seth> [...]

  >> why do you want to reinvent the wheel ?  just use fetchmail to
    >> fetch mail, configure it to keep mail on one site and delete
    >> them and the other one.

    Seth> Sorry to jump in here, but there are many reasons to avoid
    Seth> fetchmail when you want to leave messages on the server.
    Seth> For instance, how exactly are you supposed to delete
    Seth> messages after you've deleted them from you inbox?  You mail
    Seth> client now thinks that it is reading mail from a local
    Seth> spool,

it is reading mail from the local spool.

    Seth> and I don't think fetchmail has a way to delete messages
    Seth> from the server after you locally delete them.

??

i'm a little confused by what you've written here, but fetchmail -k
keeps the mail on the server and fetchmail -F flushes it, i.e.,
deletes all previously fetched mail.  i would think that it would be
possible to coordinate local mail and pop server mail through
judicious use of these arguments.

the problem i have with fetchmail is more political: it's esr-ware.
gun-toting anarcho-capitalists?  no thanks.

ciao,

g.m.

--
garglemonster@my-deja.com

I'm sitting on my SPEED QUEEN ... To me, it's ENJOYABLE ... I'm WARM
... I'm VIBRATORY ...

* Re: Close, but not complete, POP3 solutions for gnus
@ 2002-03-23  7:01       ` Seth Delackner
From: Seth Delackner @ 2002-03-23  7:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

Garglemonster <garglemonster@my-deja.com> writes:
>     Seth> and I don't think fetchmail has a way to delete messages
>     Seth> from the server after you locally delete them.
>
> i'm a little confused by what you've written here, but fetchmail -k
> keeps the mail on the server and fetchmail -F flushes it, i.e.,
> deletes all previously fetched mail.  i would think that it would be
> possible to coordinate local mail and pop server mail through
> judicious use of these arguments.

I knew that wasn't well worded as soon as I hit C-c C-c.  My work pop3
server has email that I never want to delete.  It is also reliably
backed up.  My local machine is barely backed up at all.  So when I
fetch pop3, I want to get all new messages and then leave everything
'archive quality' in the server.  This means everything that is not
random banter stays.  Fetchmail is all or nothing, other apps allow
you to just delete the junk you only wanted to read and then discard.

> the problem i have with fetchmail is more political: it's esr-ware.
> gun-toting anarcho-capitalists?  no thanks.

Not going to jump into THAT snake pit.  You do realize though that you
are reading this using Emacs, a program that was built with the love
of "anarcho-capitalist" hands, right?  (Well, from your perspective,
worse! They want EVERYTHING to be free, whereas the Open Source people
just want everything that touches their golden fingers.)

* Re: Close, but not complete, POP3 solutions for gnus
@ 2002-03-25 16:16         ` Peter Davis
From: Peter Davis @ 2002-03-25 16:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Seth Delackner" <seth@jtan.com> wrote in message
> >     Seth> and I don't think fetchmail has a way to delete messages
> >     Seth> from the server after you locally delete them.
> >
> > i'm a little confused by what you've written here, but fetchmail -k
> > keeps the mail on the server and fetchmail -F flushes it, i.e.,
> > deletes all previously fetched mail.  i would think that it would be
> > possible to coordinate local mail and pop server mail through
> > judicious use of these arguments.
>
> I knew that wasn't well worded as soon as I hit C-c C-c.  My work pop3
> server has email that I never want to delete.  It is also reliably
> backed up.  My local machine is barely backed up at all.  So when I
> fetch pop3, I want to get all new messages and then leave everything
> 'archive quality' in the server.  This means everything that is not
> random banter stays.  Fetchmail is all or nothing, other apps allow
> you to just delete the junk you only wanted to read and then discard.

The epop3mail package doesn't quite do this, but it does do two important
things:

1) Let's you leave all messages on a POP3 server, and

2) Let's you browse a message list on a POP3 server, and selectively delete
individual messages from that server.

It would seem that this latter capability (epop3-manage-mailbox) could be
turned into an automatic expunge-on-delete function by someone clever enough
(that lets me out), which would finally give gnus some useful POP3
functionality.

-pd