* Gnus/Xemacs in W2K
@ 2003-07-30 12:57 Dan Edmonds
       [not found] ` <847k6086mm.fsf@slowfox.is.informatik.uni-duisburg.de>
From: Dan Edmonds @ 2003-07-30 12:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

A friend who runs Mandrake Linux encouraged me to try GNUs, so I
downloaded and installed it. I read the FAQ, created the environment
variable HOME, with the path C:\myhome, and created my .gnus file.
Then I got a bit stuck. The FAQ says that my authinfo needs to be
"machine nntp.server.xx loginname password" does this mean that the
first word should actually be "machine", or is it asking for the name
of a machine? Since I'm trying to get it to point to 127.0.0.1, as I
run Hamster, what name should go before that address? I ask because
after creating an authinfo file, and then attempting to access news
for the first time, I get "error in ~/.gnus: opening input file" and
nothing else happens. What should I do to fix this?

* Re: Gnus/Xemacs in W2K
       [not found] ` <847k6086mm.fsf@slowfox.is.informatik.uni-duisburg.de>
@ 2003-07-30 22:27   ` Dan Edmonds
       [not found]     ` <uu193mb1e.fsf@hschmi22.userfqdn.rz-online.de>
From: Dan Edmonds @ 2003-07-30 22:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

kai.grossjohann@gmx.net (Kai Großjohann) wrote in message news:<847k6086mm.fsf@slowfox.is.informatik.uni-duisburg.de>...
> danedmonds@australiamail.com (Dan Edmonds) writes:
>
> > A friend who runs Mandrake Linux encouraged me to try GNUs, so I
> > downloaded and installed it. I read the FAQ, created the environment
> > variable HOME, with the path C:\myhome, and created my .gnus file.
>
> Did you make a sanity check that Emacs is finding the right files?  If
> you type C-x C-f ~/.gnus RET (with forward slash and tilde) then you
> should see your .gnus file, and similar with C-x C-f ~/.authinfo RET.

OK, I did that, typed C-x C-f ~/.gnus RET and voilà! my .gnus file.
Did the same with C-x C-f ~/.authinfo RET and got a "new file", so I
typed in the line as you state below, and saved it. Now, in ~/
(C:\myhome) there are .gnus and .authinfo, bot are found if I  C-x C-f
~/ The error persists. Also, when I type C-x C-f, Xemacs starts by
looking in C:\Documents and Settings\Admimistrator\Desktop, where the
shortcut is, and I must navigate to ~/ - is this as it should be?

> If that fails, then you should correct things here, first.
>
> > Then I got a bit stuck. The FAQ says that my authinfo needs to be
> > "machine nntp.server.xx loginname password" does this mean that the
> > first word should actually be "machine", or is it asking for the name
> > of a machine? Since I'm trying to get it to point to 127.0.0.1, as I
> > run Hamster, what name should go before that address?
>
> It should be
>
> machine 127.0.0.1 login mumble password verysecret
>
> But replace mumble with your login and verysecret with your password.

Thank you. I understood the need to insert my username and password
where it said username and mpassword, and wondered if the samwe
rationale applied to "machine". Thanks to your help, I now know that
it doesn't Much obliged

* Re: Gnus/Xemacs in W2K
       [not found]           ` <u192j3ca.fsf@maxqnz.com>
@ 2003-07-31 12:28             ` Adam Sjøgren
From: Adam Sjøgren @ 2003-07-31 12:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, 01 Aug 2003 00:19:33 +1200, Max wrote:

> Well, I figured that one out, sort of. I just hit U and entered the
> name of each group manually.

You can also use ^ from the Group-buffer to go to the Server-buffer.

> how do I delete a message from my drafts folder, or from my mail
> folder? I can't seem to get rid of them

B DEL - it's in the menus as well.

  Best regards,

--
 "Che Guevará" "Ja, så jobbar vi!"                            Adam Sjøgren
                                                         asjo@koldfront.dk

* Re: Gnus/Xemacs in W2K
@ 2003-07-31 20:56               ` Max Quordlepleen
From: Max Quordlepleen @ 2003-07-31 20:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

spamtrap@koldfront.dk (Adam Sjøgren) writes:

> On Fri, 01 Aug 2003 00:19:33 +1200, Max wrote:
>
>> Well, I figured that one out, sort of. I just hit U and entered the
>> name of each group manually.
>
> You can also use ^ from the Group-buffer to go to the Server-buffer.
>
>> how do I delete a message from my drafts folder, or from my mail
>> folder? I can't seem to get rid of them
>
> B DEL - it's in the menus as well.
>

>   Best regards,

Many thanks.