* Re: Pretty thread trees in summary buffer
       [not found] <81el8zlzod.fsf@shasta.cs.uiuc.edu>
       [not found] ` <87smxedg44.fsf@sdbk.de>
@ 2002-12-04 22:47 ` Frank Schmitt
From: Frank Schmitt @ 2002-12-04 22:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

Lars Clausen <lrclause@cs.uiuc.edu> writes:

> I see that Oort Gnus has pretty thread trees with little arrows (like Mutt
> and Slrn), and I saw an old patch for Gnus 5.8.3 that doesn't seem to have
> made it into mainstream Gnus.  I'm using Gnu Emacs 21.1.1 and Gnus 5.9.0 on
> a Debian box, and would really like to have pretty threads in the summary
> buffer.  Where should I be looking?

Jump in the cold water and get Oort. Serious it's in many respects
better than 5.8.8 and 5.9 (which are the same) and only heaven knows
when we'll see a release.

Do a checkout from CVS, read gnus.ding for two weeks after that and see
if there are any major bug reports, then make a backup of the checkout,
and do CVS update, read through the changelogs of the last two weeks,
see if something looks like an important bugfix, if not install and use
it. Then you should be quite save from major trouble, at least this
works for me since months now.

--
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them

@ 2002-12-03 20:39   ` Jesper Harder
From: Jesper Harder @ 2002-12-03 20:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

krause@my.gnus.org (Sebastian D.B. Krause) writes:

> On 3380 September 1993, Lars Clausen wrote:
>> I see that Oort Gnus has pretty thread trees with little arrows (like Mutt
>> and Slrn), and I saw an old patch for Gnus 5.8.3 that doesn't seem to have
>> made it into mainstream Gnus.  I'm using Gnu Emacs 21.1.1 and Gnus 5.9.0 on
>> a Debian box, and would really like to have pretty threads in the summary
>> buffer.  Where should I be looking?
>
> http://my.gnus.org/Lisp/1015544717

This does not work with Gnus 5.9.  The code to draw trees is only
present in Oort.