* Re: Mule again
       [not found]     ` <wziofc8gjpy.fsf@melbourne.laas.fr>
@ 2002-08-14  6:29       ` Peter Wu
       [not found]         ` <wzihehxgbps.fsf@melbourne.laas.fr>
From: Peter Wu @ 2002-08-14  6:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Eric Marsden" <emarsden@laas.fr> wrote:

>   ecm> To force a charset for a broken article, use C-u gb2312 RET W M
>   ecm> (gnus-article-decode-charset), in the Summary buffer. You could
have
>   ecm> found this in the "MIME Commands" section of the Gnus manual,
or by
>   ecm> saying "C-h a gnus.*charset".
>
>   pw> However the method seemed to fail. When I press C-u and g, the
>   pw> mail is displayed with a lot of numbers. I guess they are
>   pw> UNICODE numbers. I did not have a chance to enter 'gb2312' and
>   pw> hit RETURN.
>
> sorry, I got that wrong, it should have been "C-u W M c gb2312 RET".

I think I have figured out the cause to the problem. It could be the
font problem.

When I tried to input Chinese in Emacs, the Chinese characters are shown
as square blocks. My question is how to install Chinese fonts for Emacs?
Thanks again!

It's not a Gnus problem but an Emacs one.

* Re: Mule again
       [not found]           ` <ajd5rl$1a1inr$1@ID-117651.news.dfncis.de>
@ 2002-08-26 11:27             ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2002-08-26 11:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Peter Wu" <peterwu@hotmail.com> writes:

> Any ideas to fix it? How to force Gnus to use a certain charset or
> encoding to display a message like Mozilla does? Thanks again!

Like I said before, Oort Gnus allows you to hit `1 g' on the message
and then enter gb2312.  I use this feature fairly regularly.

kai

* Re: Mule again
@ 2002-08-26 13:54               ` Peter Wu
From: Peter Wu @ 2002-08-26 13:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

Kai.Grossjohann@CS.Uni-Dortmund.DE (Kai   Großjohann) writes:

> "Peter Wu" <peterwu@hotmail.com> writes:
>
> > Any ideas to fix it? How to force Gnus to use a certain charset or
> > encoding to display a message like Mozilla does? Thanks again!
>
> Like I said before, Oort Gnus allows you to hit `1 g' on the message
> and then enter gb2312.  I use this feature fairly regularly.

Thanks a ton, Kai!!

Your trick works like a charm!! Thanks again!!!

--
Peter Wu

@ 2002-08-13  1:48       ` Peter Wu
From: Peter Wu @ 2002-08-13  1:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

>   ecm> To force a charset for a broken article, use C-u gb2312 RET W M c
>   ecm> (gnus-article-decode-charset), in the Summary buffer. You could have
>   ecm> found this in the "MIME Commands" section of the Gnus manual, or by
>   ecm> saying "C-h a gnus.*charset".
>
>   pw> However the method seemed to fail. When I press C-u and g, the
>   pw> mail is displayed with a lot of numbers. I guess they are
>   pw> UNICODE numbers. I did not have a chance to enter 'gb2312' and
>   pw> hit RETURN.
>
> sorry, I got that wrong, it should have been "C-u W M c gb2312 RET".

Thanks, Eric. Unfortunately it does not work for me. :( All I see is
such numbers as \233\212. I don't know what it is. If I save this
message into file and open it in Mozilla, I can read it correctly
after forcing Mozilla to use GB2312 encoding to render the message.
Any idea? Thanks!

- Peter