* gnus-article-decode-charset breaks attachments
@ 2009-02-10 22:06 james.leifer
From: james.leifer @ 2009-02-10 22:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Hi,

I'm running

  GNU Emacs 23.0.60.1 (i486-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.12.9) of
2008-05-06 on iridium, modified by Debian

with its built in Gnus v5.13.

When I view received mail messages with (French) accented characters,
gnus is not displaying accented characters correctly (e.g. it shows
backlash codes like \351 instead of e-acute).

When I run gnus-article-decode-charset on the displayed message, the
accented characters suddenly display correctly but the attachments are
no longer hotlinks: if I move the cursor over one and press enter I
get the following error message:

  Buffer is read-only: #<buffer *Article inboxx*>

How can I display accents correctly _and_ continue to have attachment
links working?

Please ask me if I can give any more diagnostic info to help debug
this...

Many thanks,
James

* Re: gnus-article-decode-charset breaks attachments
@ 2009-02-10 22:19 ` Andrzej Adam Filip
From: Andrzej Adam Filip @ 2009-02-10 22:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

james.leifer@gmail.com wrote:

> I'm running
>
>   GNU Emacs 23.0.60.1 (i486-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.12.9) of
> 2008-05-06 on iridium, modified by Debian
>
> with its built in Gnus v5.13.
>
> When I view received mail messages with (French) accented characters,
> gnus is not displaying accented characters correctly (e.g. it shows
> backlash codes like \351 instead of e-acute).
>
> When I run gnus-article-decode-charset on the displayed message, the
> accented characters suddenly display correctly but the attachments are
> no longer hotlinks: if I move the cursor over one and press enter I
> get the following error message:
>
>   Buffer is read-only: #<buffer *Article inboxx*>
>
> How can I display accents correctly _and_ continue to have attachment
> links working?
>
> Please ask me if I can give any more diagnostic info to help debug
> this...
>
> Many thanks,
> James

Could you post the following headers of such message?

[Use 't' in message buffer to see all headers]

IMHO Most likely you gnus guesses "wrong" charset when charset is not
specified in the headers.

--
[pl>en Andrew] Andrzej Adam Filip : anfi@onet.eu : anfi@xl.wp.pl
I love treason but hate a traitor.

* Re: gnus-article-decode-charset breaks attachments
@ 2009-02-10 23:16   ` james.leifer
From: james.leifer @ 2009-02-10 23:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

> Could you post the following headers of such message?
>
> [Use 't' in message buffer to see all headers]
>
> IMHO Most likely you gnus guesses "wrong" charset when charset is not
> specified in the headers.

OK. Here are the relevant headers from a typical message I received
that fails to display accents correctly:

Any ideas?

@ 2009-02-12  4:04 ` Katsumi Yamaoka
From: Katsumi Yamaoka @ 2009-02-12  4:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

> When I run gnus-article-decode-charset on the displayed message, the
> accented characters suddenly display correctly but the attachments are
> no longer hotlinks:

How about trying the `C-d' command in the summary buffer?  It
hopefully splits the article into parts, and you can use any
summary command per parts.

Cf. (info "(gnus)Really Various Summary Commands")