* Hidden lines in the message body
@ 2007-09-08 20:54 Rodolfo Medina
From: Rodolfo Medina @ 2007-09-08 20:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Hi to all Gnus users.

I' attaching a text file containing eight lines.  If I insert it in a message
(e.g. with `C-x i') and then send the message, in the message body only the
first and the fifth will be visible, the others won't.

Can anybody explain why this happens and how to avoid it?

Thanks for any help,
Rodolfo

[-- Attachment #2: test --]

------------------------------>%------------------------------

------------------------------%<------------------------------

* Re: Hidden lines in the message body
@ 2007-09-10  0:51 ` Katsumi Yamaoka
From: Katsumi Yamaoka @ 2007-09-10  0:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

> I' attaching a text file containing eight lines.  If I insert it in a message
> (e.g. with `C-x i') and then send the message, in the message body only the
> first and the fifth will be visible, the others won't.

> Can anybody explain why this happens and how to avoid it?

It is because of the MIME emulating feature of Gnus that is
enabled by default.  It splits peculiar sections, e.g. uuencoded
data, non-MIME forwarded messages, etc., in the message body into
MIME parts.  Your problem is a typical case that this feature
works unwillingly, that is,  Gnus misidentifies the
"------------------------------%<------------------------------"
lines as the separators of the `insert-marks' part (See mm-uu.el).

The MIME emulating feature works only when displaying articles.
So, your messages will never be broken even if they look funny
to the recipients who use Gnus.  But there is no way to avoid it
other than to ask the recipients to disable this feature.  To do
that:

(setq gnus-article-emulate-mime nil)

or

(eval-after-load "mm-uu"
  '(add-to-list 'mm-uu-configure-list
		'(insert-marks . disabled)))

Regards,

* Re: Hidden lines in the message body
@ 2007-09-10 11:59   ` Rodolfo Medina
From: Rodolfo Medina @ 2007-09-10 11:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Katsumi Yamaoka <yamaoka@jpl.org> writes:

> It is because of the MIME emulating feature of Gnus that is
> enabled by default.  It splits peculiar sections, e.g. uuencoded
> data, non-MIME forwarded messages, etc., in the message body into
> MIME parts.  Your problem is a typical case that this feature
> works unwillingly, that is,  Gnus misidentifies the
> "------------------------------%<------------------------------"
> lines as the separators of the `insert-marks' part (See mm-uu.el).
>
> The MIME emulating feature works only when displaying articles.
> So, your messages will never be broken even if they look funny
> to the recipients who use Gnus.  But there is no way to avoid it
> other than to ask the recipients to disable this feature.  To do
> that:

> (setq gnus-article-emulate-mime nil)
>
> or

> (eval-after-load "mm-uu"
>   '(add-to-list 'mm-uu-configure-list
> 		'(insert-marks . disabled)))

Thanks.
The problem seems to be solved since I put in .gnus.el the line:

 (setq gnus-article-emulate-mime nil)

1) Is that what you meant? (I don't well understand the meaning of the lines
   where it says `cut here', `start', `end'.)

2) Won't there be any unwished side effects with other messages (e.g.,
   including attachments)?

Thanks indeed, cheers
Rodolfo

* Re: Hidden lines in the message body
@ 2007-09-10 17:10     ` Daniel C. Bastos
From: Daniel C. Bastos @ 2007-09-10 17:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Rodolfo Medina <rodolfo.medina@gmail.com> writes:

> Rodolfo Medina wrote:

[...]

> Katsumi Yamaoka <yamaoka@jpl.org> writes:
>
>> It is because of the MIME emulating feature of Gnus that is
>> enabled by default.  It splits peculiar sections, e.g. uuencoded
>> data, non-MIME forwarded messages, etc., in the message body into
>> MIME parts.  Your problem is a typical case that this feature
>> works unwillingly, that is,  Gnus misidentifies the
>> "------------------------------%<------------------------------"
>> lines as the separators of the `insert-marks' part (See mm-uu.el).
>>
>> The MIME emulating feature works only when displaying articles.
>> So, your messages will never be broken even if they look funny
>> to the recipients who use Gnus.  But there is no way to avoid it
>> other than to ask the recipients to disable this feature.  To do
>> that:

>> (setq gnus-article-emulate-mime nil)
>>
>> or

>> (eval-after-load "mm-uu"
>>   '(add-to-list 'mm-uu-configure-list
>> 		'(insert-marks . disabled)))
>
> Thanks.
> The problem seems to be solved since I put in .gnus.el the line:
>
>  (setq gnus-article-emulate-mime nil)
>
> 1) Is that what you meant? (I don't well understand the meaning of the lines
>    where it says `cut here', `start', `end'.)

The meaning of these lines is that what follows the one in ``start'' is
the first line of code; so you should copy that one and the ones that
follow it until you see another ``cut here'' in which case you stop
copying.

Usually, people are not that clear about what is code and what's
not. People usually write them out together with text in the hope that
readers can distinguish them. These lines ``cut here'' seem to come from
industrial product boxes which sometimes comes with instructions to the
consumer and part of these instructions is to cut the box (or the paper,
or whatever it is) and do something such as sending it to the company by
mail. This has been brought to Internet e-mail as a way to, as above,
tell you to copy some part of the message and paste it somewhere
else. It's interesting you didn't find them familiar. Where are you
from?

* Re: Hidden lines in the message body
@ 2007-09-11  1:01     ` Katsumi Yamaoka
From: Katsumi Yamaoka @ 2007-09-11  1:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

> Thanks.
> The problem seems to be solved since I put in .gnus.el the line:

>  (setq gnus-article-emulate-mime nil)

Well, this may cause you inconvenience, especially when exchanging
messages with Gnus users.  Because Gnus users may expect others
who use Gnus not change such an option.  I'm not an exception.
I think the second one (i.e., using `mm-uu-configure-list') is
better for you.  Otherwise, to use another pattern that does not
conflict with Gnus' default is much better if it is possible.
For instance:

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --%<-- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

You can verify how your message will be seen by Gnus users before
sending, by typing the `C-c C-m P' command in the message buffer.

>> (setq gnus-article-emulate-mime nil)
>> or
>> (eval-after-load "mm-uu"
>>   '(add-to-list 'mm-uu-configure-list
>> 		'(insert-marks . disabled)))

> 1) Is that what you meant? (I don't well understand the meaning of the lines
>    where it says `cut here', `start', `end'.)

I ran the `C-c M-m' command (in the message buffer) on those two
Lisp snippets to surround them with `-cut here-' lines.  Those
lines will not appear in the Gnus article buffer if
`gnus-article-emulate-mime' is non-nil.  Moreover the Lisp codes
will be highlighted with the `mm-uu-extract' face.  This is what
I intended, however I forgot that you might disable this feature.

> 2) Won't there be any unwished side effects with other messages (e.g.,
>    including attachments)?

I believe this feature never breaks attachments that senders put
on purpose.

Regards,