* Re: mail list alive? gatewayed?
       [not found] ` <mailman.9.1279246556.23747.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
@ 2010-07-16  2:29   ` Katsumi Yamaoka
From: Katsumi Yamaoka @ 2010-07-16  2:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: info-gnus-english

Katsumi Yamaoka wrote:
[...]
> [1] news.eternal-september.org
> [2] news.individual.net

> Both are open to people for free but...

[2] is not free.  Sorry.

* Re: mail list alive?  gatewayed?
@ 2010-07-16 10:39 ` Slackrat
From: Slackrat @ 2010-07-16 10:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Allan Gottlieb a écrit profondement:

| 12th.
| Reiner Steib replied to the newsgroup gnu.emacs.gnus with a CC to me.
| I received the CC but not the msg posted to the newsgroup.

Mailman is totally unpredictable

The only thing going for it is that it is open source

--
Slackrat

* Re: mail list alive? gatewayed?
       [not found] <mailman.0.1279227380.13105.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
@ 2010-07-16  2:15 ` Katsumi Yamaoka
       [not found] ` <mailman.9.1279246556.23747.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
From: Katsumi Yamaoka @ 2010-07-16  2:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: info-gnus-english

Newsgroups: gnu.emacs.gnus (posted to news.eternal-september.org)
Cc: info-gnus-english@gnu.org

Allan Gottlieb wrote:
> 12th.
> Reiner Steib replied to the newsgroup gnu.emacs.gnus with a CC to me.
> I received the CC but not the msg posted to the newsgroup.

> I had thought that the newsgroup and mailing list had bidirectional
> forwarding.  Is this belief correct and, if so, any idea why reiner's
> msg to the newsgroup has not appeared on the mailing list?
> I also checked
> http://www.mail-archive.com/info-gnus-english@gnu.org/maillist.html
> and the latest msgs are from the 12th.

I don't know why but there seem to be at least two kinds of news
servers as for the gnu.emacs.gnus newsgroup; [1]one allows nntp
posting but doesn't forward articles to the list, [2]the other
doesn't allow nntp posting but forwards articles posted to the
list to the newsgroup.  Some of [2] may moderate nntp-posted
articles, i.e. forward articles to the list.  For example:

[1] news.eternal-september.org
[2] news.individual.net

Both are open to people for free but both don't forward nntp-
posted articles to the list. :-<  I guess this problem is due to
some newsservers that took it for granted that the group is
moderated.  As for [2] the nntp command `list newsgroups' returns:

gnu.emacs.gnus	News reading under GNU Emacs using GNUS (in English). (Moderated)
(There's no entry for gnu.emacs.gnus in [1].)

Whereas isc.org says in
ftp://ftp.isc.org/pub/usenet/CONFIG/newsgroups.gz
as:

gnu.emacs.gnus		News reading under GNU Emacs using GNUS (in English).

A possible workaround may be the one like this article. ;-)

* mail list alive?  gatewayed?
@ 2010-07-15 20:55 Allan Gottlieb