* No Followup-To header defaults
@ 2005-08-24 17:31 Haines Brown
From: Haines Brown @ 2005-08-24 17:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

When I moved to a set up on a new machine, my gnus (still emacs
version 21.4.2) acts differently. I should add that I moved all
statements related to gnus from my ~/.emacs file to a ~/.gnus file,
but none seem relevant to the issue.

When I reply to a message that was originally sent to multiple groups,
I get:

  Followups to (default: no Followup-To header)

When I Enter, I get:

  Really use these possible unknown groups: ... (y or n)?

When I say "y", the message does go out to the groups. How do I
recover a default display of the list of groups? I see no
customization option to achieve it, and googling seems to suggest I'd
need to add a statement in my .emacs file, which should not be the
case.

Just in case, here's my ~/.gnus file:

  (setq user-mail-address "...")
  (setq user-full-name "...")
  (setq mail-host-address "...")
  (setq gnus-system-name "...")
  (setq gnus-select-method '(nntp "..."))
  (setq gnus-verbose 10)
  (setq gnus-verbose-backends 10)

--

       Haines Brown
       KB1GRM

* Re: No Followup-To header defaults
@ 2005-08-24 18:00 ` Bernard Adrian
From: Bernard Adrian @ 2005-08-24 18:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Haines Brown <brownh@hartford-hwp.com> a écrit :

> When I moved to a set up on a new machine, my gnus (still emacs
> version 21.4.2) acts differently. I should add that I moved all
> statements related to gnus from my ~/.emacs file to a ~/.gnus file,
> but none seem relevant to the issue.
>
> When I reply to a message that was originally sent to multiple groups,
> I get:
>
>   Followups to (default: no Followup-To header)

[...]

> Just in case, here's my ~/.gnus file:
>
>   (setq user-mail-address "...")
>   (setq user-full-name "...")
>   (setq mail-host-address "...")
>   (setq gnus-system-name "...")
>   (setq gnus-select-method '(nntp "..."))
>   (setq gnus-verbose 10)
>   (setq gnus-verbose-backends 10)

In mine there is the line below

(require 'message)

this package contains functions and variables which take care about
cross-posting and follow-up

HTH
--
Bernard Adrian
http://bernadrian.free.fr

* Re: No Followup-To header defaults
@ 2005-08-24 22:47 ` Katsumi Yamaoka
From: Katsumi Yamaoka @ 2005-08-24 22:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

> When I moved to a set up on a new machine, my gnus (still emacs
> version 21.4.2) acts differently. I should add that I moved all
> statements related to gnus from my ~/.emacs file to a ~/.gnus file,
> but none seem relevant to the issue.

> When I reply to a message that was originally sent to multiple groups,
> I get:

>   Followups to (default: no Followup-To header)

> When I Enter, I get:

>   Really use these possible unknown groups: ... (y or n)?

I think the reason that Gnus issues such a message is that the
groups the original article was posted to include groups which
you don't subscribe to.

> When I say "y", the message does go out to the groups. How do I
> recover a default display of the list of groups?

So, it seems to solve by subscribing to all those groups.
Another solution is to set the `gnus-read-active-file' variable
to t, though it might slow down Gnus.

* Re: No Followup-To header defaults
@ 2005-08-24 22:52   ` Haines Brown
From: Haines Brown @ 2005-08-24 22:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

Bernard Adrian <bernadrian@free.fr> writes:

> Haines Brown <brownh@hartford-hwp.com> a écrit :
>
>> When I moved to a set up on a new machine, my gnus (still emacs
>> version 21.4.2) acts differently. I should add that I moved all
>> statements related to gnus from my ~/.emacs file to a ~/.gnus file,
>> but none seem relevant to the issue.
>>
>> When I reply to a message that was originally sent to multiple groups,
>> I get:
>>
>>   Followups to (default: no Followup-To header)
>>

> [...]
>

>> Just in case, here's my ~/.gnus file:
>>
>>   (setq user-mail-address "...")
>>   (setq user-full-name "...")
>>   (setq mail-host-address "...")
>>   (setq gnus-system-name "...")
>>   (setq gnus-select-method '(nntp "..."))
>>   (setq gnus-verbose 10)
>>   (setq gnus-verbose-backends 10)
>
> In mine there is the line below
>
> (require 'message)
>
> this package contains functions and variables which take care about
> cross-posting and follow-up

Bernard,

Thanks for the suggestion, but it didn't work, unfortunately.

--

@ 2005-08-25 10:15   ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2005-08-25 10:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, Aug 24 2005, Bernard Adrian wrote:

> Haines Brown <brownh@hartford-hwp.com> a écrit :
[...]
>>   (setq gnus-system-name "...")

This variable doesn't exist in Gnus, i.e. it is not used.

[...]
> In mine there is the line below
>
> (require 'message)
>
> this package contains functions and variables which take care about
> cross-posting and follow-up

... and writing messages in Gnus.  It is already loaded anyhow.

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)

* Re: No Followup-To header defaults
@ 2005-08-25 15:25     ` Bernard Adrian
From: Bernard Adrian @ 2005-08-25 15:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

Reiner Steib <reinersteib+from-uce@imap.cc> a écrit :

[...] It is already loaded anyhow.

ok, by gnus-msg. Thanks.
--
Bernard Adrian
http://bernadrian.free.fr

* Re: No Followup-To header defaults
@ 2005-08-25 17:47     ` Haines Brown
From: Haines Brown @ 2005-08-25 17:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

Reiner Steib <reinersteib+from-uce@imap.cc> writes:

> On Wed, Aug 24 2005, Bernard Adrian wrote:
>
>> Haines Brown <brownh@hartford-hwp.com> a écrit :
> [...]
>>>   (setq gnus-system-name "...")
>
> This variable doesn't exist in Gnus, i.e. it is not used.
>
> [...]
>> In mine there is the line below
>>
>> (require 'message)
>>
>> this package contains functions and variables which take care about
>> cross-posting and follow-up
>
> ... and writing messages in Gnus.  It is already loaded anyhow.

I've cut out everything in ~/.gnus except for

  (setq gnus-select-method '(nntp "..."))

and the problem persists. Is there any significance in the loading
order of this statement in relation to the rest of what is loaded in
~/emacs?

--

@ 2005-08-28 17:28       ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2005-08-28 17:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, Aug 25 2005, Haines Brown wrote:

> I've cut out everything in ~/.gnus except for
>
>   (setq gnus-select-method '(nntp "..."))
>
> and the problem persists.

Which problem?  The prompt "Really post to these unknown groups: x,
y?"?  Gnus doesn't know that groups x and y exist.  Maybe in your
previous setup, Gnus knew about the groups x and y (IIRC
unsubscrkilledibed groups are also considered here).

> Is there any significance in the loading order of this statement in
> relation to the rest of what is loaded in ~/emacs?

No.  (The only difference is that ~/.emacs is loaded when Emacs starts
and ~/.gnus.el is loaded when Gnus is started.)

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)

* Re: No Followup-To header defaults
@ 2005-08-29  1:10         ` Haines Brown
From: Haines Brown @ 2005-08-29  1:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

Reiner Steib <reinersteib+from-uce@imap.cc> writes:

> On Thu, Aug 25 2005, Haines Brown wrote:
>
>> I've cut out everything in ~/.gnus except for
>>
>>   (setq gnus-select-method '(nntp "..."))
>>
>> and the problem persists.
>
> Which problem?  The prompt "Really post to these unknown groups: x,
> y?"?

Yes.

> Gnus doesn't know that groups x and y exist.  Maybe in your previous
> setup, Gnus knew about the groups x and y (IIRC unsubscrkilledibed
> groups are also considered here).

I had assumed that when I followed up to a message, the header of my
reply would read the Newsgroups: line of the message to which I am
responding. Your answer implies that this not so, and the behavior
about which I'm complaining is normal.

You seem to imply that in my previous setup gnus didn't read the
Newsgroups: line, but would somehow otherwise know of these groups,
even if I had never subscribed to them or killed them.

For example, I'm involved in a discussion on a newsgroup, but the OP
had distributed his message to several groups, including
uk.politics.misc. When I follow up to up his messages, the
uk.politics.misc group in my old setup would appear automatically in
the "Newsgroups:" line of my outgoing header.

Since you may be suggesting that my old gnus somehow knew of
uk.politis.misc, I searched in ~/News and the ~/.newsrc* files, but
didn't find it.

In my old setup, ~/News contained a set of files corresponding to the
groups to which I subscribed. For example, linux.debian.user.SCORE,
which holds the sole line "(("references"))". My new set up has no
such files.

In the original setup, In the file for the newsgroup to which I reply
to message with multiple addresses, the entry has sets of lines like
these:

  (("references"
    ("<871x5lp9ve.fsf@teufel.hartford-hwp.com>[ ]*$" nil 732153 r)
    ("<871x5lp9ve.fsf@teufel.hartford-hwp.com>" nil 732153 s)

@ 2005-09-03 16:16           ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2005-09-03 16:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, Aug 29 2005, Haines Brown wrote:

> Reiner Steib <reinersteib+from-uce@imap.cc> writes:
[...]
>> Gnus doesn't know that groups x and y exist.  Maybe in your previous
>> setup, Gnus knew about the groups x and y (IIRC unsubscrkilledibed

Oops, s/unsubscrkilledibed/unsubscribed and killed/

>> groups are also considered here).
>
> I had assumed that when I followed up to a message, the header of my
> reply would read the Newsgroups: line of the message to which I am
> responding.

Correct.

> Your answer implies that this not so, and the behavior about which
> I'm complaining is normal.
>
> You seem to imply that in my previous setup gnus didn't read the
> Newsgroups: line,

No, that's not what I said.

> but would somehow otherwise know of these groups, even if I had
> never subscribed to them or killed them.

On sending, several checks are done.  One test is to check if the
newsgroups exists (I'm not sure about the details, sorry), see the
variable `message-syntax-checks'.

Maybe you had disabled the check `existing-newsgroups' in
`message-syntax-checks'?  Or you can disable it there, if the prompt
annoys you.

> For example, I'm involved in a discussion on a newsgroup, but the OP
> had distributed his message to several groups, including
> uk.politics.misc. When I follow up to up his messages, the
> uk.politics.misc group in my old setup would appear automatically in
> the "Newsgroups:" line of my outgoing header.

Unless there's a Followup-To header, all groups from the Newsgroups
line should also appear in when following up.

> In my old setup, ~/News contained a set of files corresponding to the
> groups to which I subscribed. For example, linux.debian.user.SCORE,
[...]

(This is completely irrelevant for the current issue.)

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)