* Re: Utterly unable to read mail with Gnus
       [not found] <bp839scp64k.fsf@usca1uw-JZWWPM1.sanmateo.corp.akamai.com>
@ 2010-10-12  2:12 ` Zachary Kline
From: Zachary Kline @ 2010-10-12  2:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Sean McAfee <eefacm@gmail.com> writes:

> I've been using Gnus to read news for a while now, and I thought I'd
> give it a try for mail as well.  Alas, I've been wrestling with it for a
> while today, to no good effect.
>
> I ran getmail, storing my mail in a maildir directory ~/Maildir.  From
> what I can tell, this should be all I need to do:
>
> (setq gnus-secondary-select-methods
>       '((nnmaildir "mymail" (directory "~/Maildir"))))
 Hi Sean,
I believe you need another level of directory in this case.  Don't point
Gnus to the maildir directly, point it to a directory containing the
maildir(s) you want to read, and nothing else.
You should then see the individual maildirs show up in the server
buffer.
Hth,
Zack.

* Re: Utterly unable to read mail with Gnus
@ 2010-10-12 20:06   ` Sean McAfee
From: Sean McAfee @ 2010-10-12 20:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Zachary Kline <zkline@speedpost.net> writes:
> Sean McAfee <eefacm@gmail.com> writes:
>> I ran getmail, storing my mail in a maildir directory ~/Maildir.  From
>> what I can tell, this should be all I need to do:
>>
>> (setq gnus-secondary-select-methods
>>       '((nnmaildir "mymail" (directory "~/Maildir"))))

> I believe you need another level of directory in this case.  Don't point
> Gnus to the maildir directly, point it to a directory containing the
> maildir(s) you want to read, and nothing else.
> You should then see the individual maildirs show up in the server
> buffer.

Yeah, I figured this out last night, when I was experimenting with the
nnmh backend and found that it also expects to be given a directory that
contains all of one's MH stores as subdirectories.

For the life of me, I still can't get the nnmbox backend to recognize my
~/mbox file, but I guess I can live without it.