* Gnus, maildir, and nnmaildir
@ 2010-04-03 10:04 Damian
From: Damian @ 2010-04-03 10:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Hello,

After two days of futile struggling with gnus, gnus manual, blogs, and
tutorials, I decided to write to you.

The situation is the following. I get my email with getmail, which
delivers it in the ~/Maildir folder, using the maildir format.

Now I would like to use maildir as a mail source, and nnmaildir as
select method. Thus I've configured gnus in the following way:
(setq
 gnus-select-method '(nnmaildir "mymailbox" (directory "~/Mail/"))
 mail-sources '((maildir :path "~/Maildir/" :subdirs ("cur" "new")))
 mail-source-delete-incoming t
 )

But all I see is the groups
      9: nndoc+gnus-help:gnus-help
       *: nndraft:queue
       *: nndraft:drafts

What I'm I missing?

Thanks in advance,
Damian.

* Re: Gnus, maildir, and nnmaildir
@ 2010-04-03 14:18 ` Richard Riley
From: Richard Riley @ 2010-04-03 14:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Damian <damian.only@gmail.com> writes:

> Hello,
>
> After two days of futile struggling with gnus, gnus manual, blogs, and
> tutorials, I decided to write to you.
>
> The situation is the following. I get my email with getmail, which
> delivers it in the ~/Maildir folder, using the maildir format.
>
> Now I would like to use maildir as a mail source, and nnmaildir as
> select method. Thus I've configured gnus in the following way:
> (setq
>  gnus-select-method '(nnmaildir "mymailbox" (directory "~/Mail/"))
>  mail-sources '((maildir :path "~/Maildir/" :subdirs ("cur" "new")))
>  mail-source-delete-incoming t
>  )
>
> But all I see is the groups
>       9: nndoc+gnus-help:gnus-help
>        *: nndraft:queue
>        *: nndraft:drafts
>
> What I'm I missing?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Damian.

I use a local imap server now, and cant find my old Maildir settings but:

Did you subscribe to your new groups? In your *Group* buffer hit "^"
then select your backend with "enter" and then subscribe to groups using
"u". If thats the solution then look into using topics too in order to
logically group your mail groups.

Why is your directory "~/Mail" above? You said your Maildir was
~/.Maildir.

And I'm not sure mail-sources is appropriate. Someone else can clarify
that hopefully.

* Re: Gnus, maildir, and nnmaildir
@ 2011-02-12 23:25   ` John
From: John @ 2011-02-12 23:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

> Did you subscribe to your new groups? In your *Group* buffer hit "^"
> then select your backend with "enter" and then subscribe to groups using
> "u". If thats the solution then look into using topics too in order to
> logically group your mail groups.

Thanks for posting this.  I was having the same issue and this allowed me to
access my inboxes.  If you have never used Gnus before (like me) the online
documentation in this area is lacking (e.g. initially, I was putting imap info
in my .emacs file and wondering why it was throwing errors)

Thanks, much appreciated! J