* Re: Counting articles in my inbox
       [not found] <296e7916.0208280638.7faabc56@posting.google.com>
       [not found] ` <vafelcjrpg3.fsf@lucy.cs.uni-dortmund.de>
@ 2002-08-28 17:22 ` Frank Schmitt
From: Frank Schmitt @ 2002-08-28 17:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

wp_gibbons@yahoo.co.uk (ArrowHunter) writes:

> Is it possible to make the article count in the "Groups" buffer of
> gnus display the actual number of articles I have in my mailbox,
> rather than the larger number it claims is there?

I guess there's none except regular respooling all articles. This is
probably one of Gnus' weakest points.

--
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them

* Re: Counting articles in my inbox
       [not found]   ` <m3u1led1z9.fsf@kuntu.zangpo.org>
@ 2002-08-29  0:13     ` Simon Josefsson
From: Simon Josefsson @ 2002-08-29  0:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

Martin Schmitz <dosenfleisch@gmx.de> writes:

> Kai.Grossjohann@CS.Uni-Dortmund.DE (Kai Großjohann) writes:
>
>> wp_gibbons@yahoo.co.uk (ArrowHunter) writes:
>>
>>> Is it possible to make the article count in the "Groups" buffer of
>>> gnus display the actual number of articles I have in my mailbox,
>>> rather than the larger number it claims is there?
>>
>> Yes, it is possible.  It is, however, not easy and requires to fix
>> the Gnus source code to allow it.
>
> Strange. It was the same here, but since Oort 0.07 it does not happen
> anymore. Even if I get lots of new mail and I'm deleting many articles.
>
> Are you sure, that nobody has fixed it yes? Simon?

Noone has fixed it AFAIK.  Maybe your server changed?  The problem
only appears if the server generates holes in the UID range.  (For
IMAP, that is.)

Pressing M-g should update the unread article count to be the correct
number, as well.

@ 2002-08-29  9:24   ` ArrowHunter
From: ArrowHunter @ 2002-08-29  9:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

Kai.Grossjohann@CS.Uni-Dortmund.DE (Kai Großjohann wrote in message news:<vafelcjrpg3.fsf@lucy.cs.uni-dortmund.de>...
> wp_gibbons@yahoo.co.uk (ArrowHunter) writes:
>
> > Is it possible to make the article count in the "Groups" buffer of
> > gnus display the actual number of articles I have in my mailbox,
> > rather than the larger number it claims is there?
>
> Yes, it is possible.  It is, however, not easy and requires to fix
> the Gnus source code to allow it.

That's way beyond me.  But you make it sound like it won't be done for
the foreseeable future.  Is this correct?  Is it Just Too Hard?

Someone said something about re-spooling to fix the number.  Even
though this is would be only a partial solution, it might be worth
trying for me, just to get rid of the annoying message about me having
too many messages.  Can I do it without the effort of killing and
reincarnating my INBOX?  ie, is there a single-command/button
solution?

Thanks!

@ 2002-08-28 15:26   ` Lute Kamstra
       [not found]   ` <m3u1led1z9.fsf@kuntu.zangpo.org>
From: Lute Kamstra @ 2002-08-28 15:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

> wp_gibbons@yahoo.co.uk (ArrowHunter) writes:
>
> > Is it possible to make the article count in the "Groups" buffer of
> > gnus display the actual number of articles I have in my mailbox,
> > rather than the larger number it claims is there?
>
> Yes, it is possible.  It is, however, not easy and requires to fix
> the Gnus source code to allow it.
>
> Hundreds, nay, thousands, of people would be thankful to you if you
> would do the work!

Make that thousands plus one.

Hee, wait a minute...  my .gnus actually contains the code to do this:

;;;-------------------------------------------------------------------
;;; Renumbering.
;;;-------------------------------------------------------------------

;; The idea is as follows.  From the group buffer, enter a mail group
;; (C-u <ret>).  Select all articles (M P b) and move the articles to
;; a not yet existing temporary mail group (B m).  Now, exit the group
;; and kill it (C-k) in the group buffer.  Exit gnus (q).  Manually
;; kill the file(s) of the group and remove its line from the active
;; file.  Restart Gnus.  Enter the temporary group (C-u <ret>), select
;; all (M P b) and move all (B m) to the original group which is then
;; created anew.  Now, exit the temporary group (q) and kill it (C-k),
;; subscribe to the original group (F) and exit gnus (q).  Delete the
;; file(s) of the temporary group and remove its line from the active
;; file.  Voila the group is renumbered.

Lute.

--
(spook) => "afsatcom spies class struggle"
(insert-file-contents "~/.signature") => (error "`~/.signature' too rude")