* Slow mail sending
@ 2003-08-15  4:22 Bill Harris
       [not found] ` <uk79fyzmd.fsf@hschmi22.userfqdn.rz-online.de>
From: Bill Harris @ 2003-08-15  4:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'm enjoying gnus for email so far, but I found another puzzler today.
Often (but not always) it has taken 3-10 minutes from C-c C-c until my
mail is sent.  During that time, emacs is using lots of machines cycles
(~90-99%??)  on a 2.2 GHz P4M.  After the email leaves emacs, Norton AV
2003 checks it (rather quickly, according to the small, quick pop-up)
and then it's ssh-tunneled via PuTTY.  Since I don't see the Norton
pop-up until the end of that time, I suspect it's emacs or gnus that's
keeping it around.

FWIW, I'm using Gnus 5.9.0 on Emacs 21.2.1, and I'm using an nnml
backend for mail and nnfolder for archiving sent mail.

Any thoughts?  I haven't found anything online yet.

Thanks,

Bill
--
Bill Harris                                  3217 102nd Place SE
Facilitated Systems                          Everett, WA 98208 USA

* Re: Slow mail sending
       [not found]   ` <uu18i3arx.fsf@facilitatedsystems.com>
@ 2003-08-19  3:00     ` Gary W. Swearingen
From: Gary W. Swearingen @ 2003-08-19  3:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Bill Harris <bill_harris@facilitatedsystems.com> writes:

> If anyone has thoughts, I'm listening.  I'll continue to search for
> answers in the docs, too.

Hey, neighbor!  (I'm near SeaTac.)

I've had problems with slow send-off a couple of times that turned out
to be related to my sendmail configuration.  Whether or not you're
using sendmail, it could very well be whatever you have gnus using to
send your mail.

I don't remember what my problem actually was, but it was pretty
obvious after changing sendmail's logging level, sending a message,
and examining the sendmail logs.  Here one of my notes:

   In "cf" file "O LogLevel=#", where #=9 for normal logging, 15 for
   debugging without source code, 0 for minimal logging.

There's probably a way to do in a .mc file, but it was easier to just
change the value in .cf, send some mail, and change it back.