* Re: Encoding of messages
       [not found] <fagmo3$m8p$02$1@news.t-online.com>
@ 2007-08-22 14:01 ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2007-08-22 14:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

On Wed, 22 Aug 2007 08:56:58 +0200 eric.boese-wolf@t-online.de (Eric Böse-Wolf) wrote:

EB> Is there the possibility to tell gnus to convert all arriving mail
EB> messages into utf-8 and store them in utf-8? How to configure it?

Gnus does not convert messages for storage AFAIK.  What are you trying
to accomplish?

Ted

* Re: Encoding of messages
@ 2007-08-22 14:28   ` Eric Böse-Wolf
       [not found]     ` <m2ir71xb1o.fsf@lifelogs.com>
From: Eric Böse-Wolf @ 2007-08-22 14:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> writes:

> Gnus does not convert messages for storage AFAIK.  What are you trying
> to accomplish?

I use spam.el with spam-use-bogofilter (bogofilter configured with
unicode=yes and default_charset=utf-8) and I noticed correctly
displayed german umlauts and badly displayed german umlauts in my
bogoutil -d wordlist.db output. So I assumed bogofilter received
messages in different encodings and wanted to stop that to get
a nice and plain bogoutil -d wordlist.db output.

Sorry for bad english.

Yours sincerely,

Eric Böse-Wolf

[-- Attachment #1.2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 188 bytes --]

* Re: Encoding of messages
@ 2007-08-27 15:16     ` Ted Zlatanov
       [not found]     ` <m2ir71xb1o.fsf@lifelogs.com>
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2007-08-27 15:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, 22 Aug 2007 16:28:38 +0200 eric.boese-wolf@t-online.de (Eric Böse-Wolf) wrote:

EB> Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> writes:
>> Gnus does not convert messages for storage AFAIK.  What are you trying
>> to accomplish?

EB> I use spam.el with spam-use-bogofilter (bogofilter configured with
EB> unicode=yes and default_charset=utf-8) and I noticed correctly
EB> displayed german umlauts and badly displayed german umlauts in my
EB> bogoutil -d wordlist.db output. So I assumed bogofilter received
EB> messages in different encodings and wanted to stop that to get
EB> a nice and plain bogoutil -d wordlist.db output.

(I maintain spam.el)

The function that gets the article as a string is

(defun spam-get-article-as-string (article)
  (when (numberp article)
    (with-temp-buffer
      (gnus-request-article-this-buffer
       article
       gnus-newsgroup-name)
      (buffer-string))))

and then that string gets passed to bogofilter:

	  (when (stringp article-string)
	    (with-temp-buffer
	      (insert article-string)
	         (apply 'call-process-region
		     (point-min) (point-max)
		     spam-bogofilter-program
		     nil nil nil switch
		     (if db `("-d" ,db "-v") `("-v")))))))

So spam.el just passes the article as a string, using the
gnus-request-article-this-buffer function.  We can change this if
necessary, to add extra parameters to bogofilter's invocation or to
spam-get-article-as-string to encode to UCS/UTF-8.  I don't know much
about Gnus article encodings so I'm cc-ing this to the ding mailing list
as well in case someone can help.

Ted

p.s. your English is fine :)

* Re: Encoding of messages