* rendering an rss feed as html
@ 2008-02-29  4:15 Richard G Riley
From: Richard G Riley @ 2008-02-29  4:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Can I set a group to treat all articles as html?

e.g I have subscribed to an RSS feed in Gnus and all the feed posts are html
content. Gnus doesn't recognise them as html since they not properly
marked as html. Can I do aynthing to set this group to automatically
treat all articles in this RSS feed as html and son render with w3m?

* Re: rendering an rss feed as html
@ 2008-02-29  6:08 ` Katsumi Yamaoka
From: Katsumi Yamaoka @ 2008-02-29  6:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

> Can I set a group to treat all articles as html?

> e.g I have subscribed to an RSS feed in Gnus and all the feed posts are html
> content. Gnus doesn't recognise them as html since they not properly
> marked as html. Can I do aynthing to set this group to automatically
> treat all articles in this RSS feed as html and son render with w3m?

Does the following part of the Gnus Info manual help?

(info "(gnus)RSS") <- Type `C-x C-e' here.
,----
|    Even if you have added `"text/html"' to the
| `mm-discouraged-alternatives' variable (*note Display Customization:
| (emacs-mime)Display Customization.) since you don't want to see HTML
| parts, it might be more useful especially in `nnrss' groups to display
| `text/html' parts.  Here's an example of setting
| `mm-discouraged-alternatives' as a group parameter (*note Group
| Parameters::) in order to display `text/html' parts only in `nnrss'
| groups:
|
|      ;; Set the default value of `mm-discouraged-alternatives'.
|      (eval-after-load "gnus-sum"
|        '(add-to-list
|          'gnus-newsgroup-variables
|          '(mm-discouraged-alternatives
|            . '("text/html" "image/.*"))))
|
|      ;; Display `text/html' parts in `nnrss' groups.
|      (add-to-list
|       'gnus-parameters
|       '("\\`nnrss:" (mm-discouraged-alternatives nil)))
`----

See also `mm-discouraged-alternatives' in:
(info "(emacs-mime)Display Customization")

* Re: rendering an rss feed as html
@ 2008-02-29 14:28   ` Richard G Riley
From: Richard G Riley @ 2008-02-29 14:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Katsumi Yamaoka <yamaoka@jpl.org> writes:

>> Can I set a group to treat all articles as html?
>
>> e.g I have subscribed to an RSS feed in Gnus and all the feed posts are html
>> content. Gnus doesn't recognise them as html since they not properly
>> marked as html. Can I do aynthing to set this group to automatically
>> treat all articles in this RSS feed as html and son render with w3m?
>
> Does the following part of the Gnus Info manual help?

It does indeed. I should have spotted that (although it is a bit tricky
to follow). Thanks.

@ 2008-03-02  0:16     ` Richard G Riley
From: Richard G Riley @ 2008-03-02  0:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Richard G Riley <rileyrgdev@gmail.com> writes:

>>> Can I set a group to treat all articles as html?
>>
>>> e.g I have subscribed to an RSS feed in Gnus and all the feed posts are html
>>> content. Gnus doesn't recognise them as html since they not properly
>>> marked as html. Can I do aynthing to set this group to automatically
>>> treat all articles in this RSS feed as html and son render with w3m?
>>
>> Does the following part of the Gnus Info manual help?
>
> It does indeed. I should have spotted that (although it is a bit tricky
> to follow). Thanks.

Actually, in retrospect, its not really doing what I want (although a
good part of the way) . I want the email itself in a w3m display so the
usual w3m keys are available. As it is I just see "link" for hot links
and am unable to use "M" to open in external browser.

* Re: rendering an rss feed as html
@ 2008-03-03  8:27       ` Katsumi Yamaoka
From: Katsumi Yamaoka @ 2008-03-03  8:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

> I want the email itself in a w3m display so the usual w3m keys are
> available. As it is I just see "link" for hot links and am unable to
> use "M" to open in external browser.

You can add this form to the ~/.emacs-w3m.el file at your own risk.

(define-key w3m-minor-mode-map "M" 'w3m-view-url-with-external-browser)

For what `risk' means, please see:

(info "(emacs-w3m)Gnus") <- `C-x C-e' here.

* Re: rendering an rss feed as html
@ 2008-03-03 16:15         ` Richard G Riley
From: Richard G Riley @ 2008-03-03 16:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

>> I want the email itself in a w3m display so the usual w3m keys are
>> available. As it is I just see "link" for hot links and am unable to
>> use "M" to open in external browser.
>
> You can add this form to the ~/.emacs-w3m.el file at your own risk.
>
> (define-key w3m-minor-mode-map "M" 'w3m-view-url-with-external-browser)
>
> For what `risk' means, please see:
>
> (info "(emacs-w3m)Gnus") <- `C-x C-e' here.

I'm not sure I understand. How will this help? The article is not in w3m
minor mode. It is a gnus article buffer. C-h m shows the following
modes:

,----
| Enabled minor modes: Auto-Compression Blink-Cursor Column-Number
| Delete-Selection Display-Time File-Name-Shadow Font-Lock
| Global-Font-Lock Indent-Region Iswitchb Line-Number Menu-Bar
| Mouse-Wheel Mumamo-Global Nxhtml-Global Shell-Dirtrack Tooltip
| Transient-Mark Unify-8859-On-Encoding Utf-Translate-Cjk
|
| (Information about these minor modes follows the major mode info.)
|
| Article mode:
| Major mode for displaying an article.
`----

* Re: rendering an rss feed as html
@ 2008-03-06  2:06           ` Katsumi Yamaoka
From: Katsumi Yamaoka @ 2008-03-06  2:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

> Katsumi Yamaoka <yamaoka@jpl.org> writes:
>> You can add this form to the ~/.emacs-w3m.el file at your own risk.
>>
>> (define-key w3m-minor-mode-map "M" 'w3m-view-url-with-external-browser)
>>
>> For what `risk' means, please see:
>>
>> (info "(emacs-w3m)Gnus") <- `C-x C-e' here.

> I'm not sure I understand. How will this help? The article is not in w3m
> minor mode. It is a gnus article buffer. C-h m shows the following
> modes:

That is not *so-called* minor-mode as an Emacs term.
The `w3m-minor-mode-map' overrides the other keymaps, using
the `keymap' text property, over only the area that emacs-w3m
rendered in the article buffer.

Regards,
(Sorry for the late answer.  I barely got well from a cold.)