* Can ping server, but not connect to it
@ 2008-03-23 20:43 Alasdair
From: Alasdair @ 2008-03-23 20:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

The title says it all; I can ping to the server news.mel.connect.com.au, and
I've set gnus-select-method correctly; also gnus-nntp-server is set to nil.
But every time I try to start gnus, I'm told I can't connect to the server.
Does anybody know why this could be and how I can fix it?

Thanks,
Alasdair

* Re: Can ping server, but not connect to it
@ 2008-03-23 23:20 ` Adam Sjøgren
From: Adam Sjøgren @ 2008-03-23 23:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

On Mon, 24 Mar 2008 07:43:34 +1100, Alasdair wrote:

> The title says it all; I can ping to the server news.mel.connect.com.au, and
> I've set gnus-select-method correctly; also gnus-nntp-server is set to nil.
> But every time I try to start gnus, I'm told I can't connect to the server.
> Does anybody know why this could be and how I can fix it?

Maybe you need permission to access that server from the servers owner?
When I try to access it, I get:

 $ telnet news.mel.connect.com.au nntp
 Trying 210.8.230.24...
 Connected to news-south.bur.connect.com.au.
 Escape character is '^]'.
 502 You have no permission to talk.  Goodbye.
 Connection closed by foreign host.
 $

What happens if you telnet to it on the nntp port?

  Best regards,

--
 "You know, if the sun was an oboe, what would you do?"       Adam Sjøgren
                                                         asjo@koldfront.dk

* Re: Can ping server, but not connect to it
@ 2008-03-23 23:26   ` Alasdair
From: Alasdair @ 2008-03-23 23:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Thanks for your reply.  I don't think it's a permission problem, as I can
connect quite nicely using knode (which is what I'm using at the moment.
But knode's a bit slow and inefficient).  It seems to be a problem somehow
with connecting from within emacs.

I have the same problem using slrn (a console based newsreader); even though
ping is fine, I can't connect.  It seems to be some type of system problem,
but I can't pin it down

-Alasdair

@ 2008-03-23 23:32     ` Adam Sjøgren
From: Adam Sjøgren @ 2008-03-23 23:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

On Mon, 24 Mar 2008 10:26:51 +1100, Alasdair wrote:

> Thanks for your reply.  I don't think it's a permission problem, as I can
> connect quite nicely using knode (which is what I'm using at the moment.
> But knode's a bit slow and inefficient).  It seems to be a problem somehow
> with connecting from within emacs.

Perhaps you could run "sudo ngrep -Wbyline port 119" while connecting
with knode and one of the others, and see if you can spot the
difference?

  Best regards,

--

@ 2008-03-24  3:45       ` Alasdair
From: Alasdair @ 2008-03-24  3:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Thanks again!  The trouble seems to be with my DNS system - if I contact the
newsserver with its numeric address, then gnus seems to work fine.

-Alasdair