* killfiles are bad?
@ 2008-04-23 22:25 Brian Adkins
From: Brian Adkins @ 2008-04-23 22:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

The documentation seems to suggest that killfiles are bad and scoring
should be used instead. I'm having trouble with what should be a very
simple task in my opinion.

I have the cursor on an article in the summary buffer. I'd like to
instruct Gnus to never show me another post from the author of the
article. I think I've looked through every  menu option and haven't
found a way to do this.

As a user, I don't care whether the method is scoring or a killfile as
long as it's easy and efficient.

* Re: killfiles are bad?
@ 2008-04-23 22:41 ` Brian Adkins
From: Brian Adkins @ 2008-04-23 22:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Brian Adkins <lojicdotcom@gmail.com> writes:

> The documentation seems to suggest that killfiles are bad and scoring
> should be used instead. I'm having trouble with what should be a very
> simple task in my opinion.
>
> I have the cursor on an article in the summary buffer. I'd like to
> instruct Gnus to never show me another post from the author of the
> article. I think I've looked through every  menu option and haven't
> found a way to do this.
>
> As a user, I don't care whether the method is scoring or a killfile as
> long as it's easy and efficient.

I posted too soon. I think the following will work:

L a e p

I'll find out as soon as I see the author's next post on Google Groups and he
doesn't show up in Gnus.

* Re: killfiles are bad?
@ 2008-04-23 23:53   ` Ben Bacarisse
From: Ben Bacarisse @ 2008-04-23 23:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Brian Adkins <brian@ubuntu.sys76.local> writes:

> Brian Adkins <lojicdotcom@gmail.com> writes:
<snip>
>> I have the cursor on an article in the summary buffer. I'd like to
>> instruct Gnus to never show me another post from the author of the
>> article.
<snip>
> I posted too soon. I think the following will work:
>
> L a e p

Prefix this with M-i a and the rule will go into the all.SCORE file
rather than the score file for the current group.  Not always what one
wants, but very useful with L a r p for spam (you then edit the
suggested regexp to include all the expected variations).

--
Ben.

* Re: killfiles are bad?
@ 2008-04-24  2:38   ` Bob Fry
       [not found]     ` <mailman.11014.1209636011.18990.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
From: Bob Fry @ 2008-04-24  2:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

    BA> L a e p

If you really detest an author, use

F a e p

which will zap followups to the author's posts.
--
To date, despite the efforts of millions of true believers to support
this myth, there is no more evidence for the Judeo-Christian god than

* Re: killfiles are bad?
@ 2008-04-30 16:20     ` giglio robbo' d'acciaio
       [not found]     ` <mailman.11014.1209636011.18990.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
From: giglio robbo' d'acciaio @ 2008-04-30 16:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Bob Fry <bobfry@mailinator.com> writes:

> F a e p

Isn't 'F' folloup-with-yank?
--
      Daniele Giglio      Dona i tuoi cicli di clock alla ricerca!
      email in ROT13      http://boinc.berkeley.edu/

* Re: killfiles are bad?
       [not found]     ` <mailman.11014.1209636011.18990.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
@ 2008-05-01 16:29       ` Bob Fry
From: Bob Fry @ 2008-05-01 16:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

    giglio> Bob Fry <bobfry@mailinator.com> writes:
    >> F a e p

    giglio> Isn't 'F' folloup-with-yank?

Quite right--my mistake.  I meant

L f e p

--
"It's hard to conceive that it would take more forces to provide
stability in post-Saddam Iraq than it would take to conduct the war