From: Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com>
Subject: Re: Spam quation : procmail v spam.el using spamassassin.
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2006 11:27:01 -0400	[thread overview]

On 21 Jun 2006, hadronquark@gmail.com wrote:

> Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> writes:
>
>> On 21 Jun 2006, hadronquark@gmail.com wrote:
>>
>>> Unfortunately, G c brings up a emacs customization page which doesnt
>>> work : it doesnt repsond to any selections. I have no idea why as
>>> everything else I run works fine.
>>
>> On the left, there should be a checkbox next to each configurable
>> entry.  You have to click that before you modify the entry itself, to
>> mark it as configured.  Then hit 'done' at the top.
>
> So it is different than other config screens such as
> cutstomize-group mail?

Yes, the `G c' interface is different although it uses the same
widgets in the end.

> I am unable to alter any settings. Hitting "done" does nothing. Pressing
> "q" does nothing. I get a page of settings when I hit G c alright but
> they seem uneditable and G p does nothing too.
>
> As an example, I am on a group in summary and hit G c. Up comes the
> Group Pamaters for that group. First one is "Address" which has a check
> box thingy (just a bullet point I think) on the left, but set or unset I
> am unable to type into the Address edit field and emacs report that the
> "widget here is not active".
>
> from messages : "widget-overlay-inactive: The widget here is not active"
>
> clicking on "more" or "done" does nothing.

I can't help you further here, because the customization buffer has
always worked for me and I don't know much about the code that
generates it.  Could you please do M-x gnus-bug and submit a bug
regarding this problem?

> G p on the group produces:
> =============================
> ;;; Editing the group parameters for `gnu.emacs.gnus'.
> ;; Type `C-c C-c' after you've finished editing.
>
> nil
> =============================

You can manually add parameters in the `G p' buffer.  For example, you
can say

((ham-marks
  (gnus-ticked-mark))
 (ham-process-destination "nnimap+lifelogs.com:INBOX.mail" "nnimap+lifelogs.com:INBOX.trainham")
 (spam-process-destination . "nnimap+lifelogs.com:INBOX.train"))

This says that the ham-marks should be just the `!' mark, that ham
should go to two groups, and spam should go to one group.  All the
parameters can be customized this way.

An important one is to set up a group to be the spam group.  Try this:

(setq
 gnus-spam-newsgroup-contents '(("spam$"
 gnus-group-spam-classification-spam)))

This will make every group name that ends with "spam" a spam group.

Also, these may help (my preferred settings):

(setq
 spam-process-ham-in-nonham-groups t
 spam-move-spam-nonspam-groups-only nil
 spam-mark-only-unseen-as-spam t
 spam-mark-ham-unread-before-move-from-spam-group t)

You may not want these settings; for an explanation of each one, see
the manual or M-x customize-group spam

Hope this helps...
Ted