* gmail from gnus
@ 2006-11-16 18:35 rahed
       [not found] ` <mailman.730.1163703618.2155.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
From: rahed @ 2006-11-16 18:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

some time ago I tried to use gnus to fetch messages from my gmail
account. I googled this group and applied offered suggestions but wasn't
successfull.

This is gnus v5.11 on windows. So is it actually possible with this
version to make gnus communicate with gmail or is it not worthwhile?

--
Radek

* Re: gmail from gnus
@ 2006-11-16 18:55 ` Leo
       [not found]   ` <mailman.749.1163774329.2155.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
       [not found] ` <mailman.730.1163703618.2155.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
From: Leo @ 2006-11-16 18:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, 16/11/06, rahed wrote:

> Hello,
>
> some time ago I tried to use gnus to fetch messages from my gmail
> account. I googled this group and applied offered suggestions but wasn't
> successfull.
>
> This is gnus v5.11 on windows. So is it actually possible with this
> version to make gnus communicate with gmail or is it not worthwhile?

Yes.

You need ssl.el and set up like this:

http://www.pvv.ntnu.no/~terjeros/wiki/GnusGmail

--
Leo

* Re: gmail from gnus
       [not found] ` <mailman.730.1163703618.2155.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
@ 2006-11-17  6:26   ` Brep
From: Brep @ 2006-11-17  6:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

Leo <sdl.web@gmail.com> writes:

[...]

>> This is gnus v5.11 on windows. So is it actually possible with this
>> version to make gnus communicate with gmail or is it not worthwhile?

[...]

> http://www.pvv.ntnu.no/~terjeros/wiki/GnusGmail

That needs a external tool (gnutls-bin or starttls) which is not
available on the Win32 platform, there's report gnus works with cygwin's
gnutls.

The easiest way to communicate with gmail on win32 platform is
fetch/send mail with hamster, and read mail with gnus.

* Re: gmail from gnus
@ 2006-11-17  6:53     ` koocyton
From: koocyton @ 2006-11-17  6:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

-__-

In Winxp , no other way for Gmail in Gnus ?

Brep <brep@smth.org> writes:

> Leo <sdl.web@gmail.com> writes:
>
> [...]
>
>>> This is gnus v5.11 on windows. So is it actually possible with this
>>> version to make gnus communicate with gmail or is it not worthwhile?
>
> [...]
>
>> http://www.pvv.ntnu.no/~terjeros/wiki/GnusGmail
>
> That needs a external tool (gnutls-bin or starttls) which is not
> available on the Win32 platform, there's report gnus works with cygwin's
> gnutls.
>
> The easiest way to communicate with gmail on win32 platform is
> fetch/send mail with hamster, and read mail with gnus.

--
Good Good Life , Day Day Study !
http://www.phpe.net

* Re: gmail from gnus
@ 2006-11-17 14:38   ` Radek
       [not found]   ` <mailman.749.1163774329.2155.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
From: Radek @ 2006-11-17 14:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

> You need ssl.el and set up like this:
>
> http://www.pvv.ntnu.no/~terjeros/wiki/GnusGmail

So I installed latest smtpmail.el, starttls.el and pop3.el. Also GnuTLS
1.5.5.

But ended up with

530 5.7.0 Must issue a STARTTLS command firsty1sm3558462uge

when trying to send a message via gmail. Appears, TLS negotiation didn't
start.

Could somenone direct me what to examine first?

Radek

* Re: gmail from gnus
@ 2006-11-17 20:36       ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2006-11-17 20:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 17 Nov 2006, koocyton@gmail.com wrote:

> Brep <brep@smth.org> writes:
>
>> Leo <sdl.web@gmail.com> writes:
>>
>> [...]
>>
>> [...]
>>
>>> http://www.pvv.ntnu.no/~terjeros/wiki/GnusGmail
>>
>> That needs a external tool (gnutls-bin or starttls) which is not
>> available on the Win32 platform, there's report gnus works with cygwin's
>> gnutls.
>>
>> The easiest way to communicate with gmail on win32 platform is
>> fetch/send mail with hamster, and read mail with gnus.

> -__-
>
> In Winxp , no other way for Gmail in Gnus ?

Please don't top-post.

Until Gmail offers an IMAP interface, you are stuck using POP3.  POP3
is much less powerful than IMAP so Gnus functionality is limited too.

Ted

* Re: gmail from gnus
       [not found]   ` <mailman.749.1163774329.2155.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
@ 2006-11-17 20:41     ` Ted Zlatanov
       [not found]       ` <mailman.790.1163851507.2155.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2006-11-17 20:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 17 Nov 2006, raherh@gmail.com wrote:

>> You need ssl.el and set up like this:
>>
>> http://www.pvv.ntnu.no/~terjeros/wiki/GnusGmail
>>

> So I installed latest smtpmail.el, starttls.el and pop3.el. Also GnuTLS
> 1.5.5.
>
> But ended up with
>
> 530 5.7.0 Must issue a STARTTLS command firsty1sm3558462uge
>
> when trying to send a message via gmail. Appears, TLS negotiation didn't
> start.
>
> Could somenone direct me what to examine first?

Did you follow the instructions?

Post your setup.  You don't need the full setup if you only expect to
send mail from your Gmail account.  Just the following lines.

(setq message-send-mail-function 'smtpmail-send-it)
(setq smtpmail-starttls-credentials '(("smtp.gmail.com" 587 nil nil)))
(setq smtpmail-auth-credentials '(("smtp.gmail.com" 587 "joeuser" nil)))
(setq smtpmail-default-smtp-server "smtp.gmail.com")
(setq smtpmail-smtp-server "smtp.gmail.com")
(setq smtpmail-smtp-service 587))

If it's still not working, make sure starttls.el can find the
necessary software.  The following:

(executable-find starttls-program)

should return something other than nil.  If not, adjust the value of
starttls-program accordingly with customize-variable.

Ted

* Re: gmail from gnus
@ 2006-11-18 11:32       ` Radek
       [not found]       ` <mailman.790.1163851507.2155.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
From: Radek @ 2006-11-18 11:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> writes:

> Did you follow the instructions?

Yes.

> Post your setup.  You don't need the full setup if you only expect to
> send mail from your Gmail account.  Just the following lines.

For start I started with smtp and when it's functional will proceeed to
pop.

This is my setup regarding smtp:

(setq message-send-mail-function 'smtpmail-send-it)
(setq smtpmail-starttls-credentials '(("smtp.gmail.com" 587 nil nil)))
(setq smtpmail-auth-credentials '(("smtp.gmail.com" 587 "myusername" "mypasswd")))
(setq smtpmail-default-smtp-server "smtp.gmail.com")
(setq smtpmail-smtp-server "smtp.gmail.com")
(setq smtpmail-smtp-service 587))

> If it's still not working, make sure starttls.el can find the
> necessary software.  The following:
>
> (executable-find starttls-program)
>
> should return something other than nil.  If not, adjust the value of
> starttls-program accordingly with customize-variable.

I understood if I use GnuTLS then starttls-program is not used but
GnuTLS program gnu-cli in starttls-use-gnutls function. Should I set
starttls-program?

Radek

* Re: gmail from gnus
       [not found]       ` <mailman.790.1163851507.2155.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
@ 2006-11-20 19:57         ` Ted Zlatanov
       [not found]           ` <mailman.956.1164137613.2155.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2006-11-20 19:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Simon Josefsson, Daiki Ueno

On 18 Nov 2006, raherh@gmail.com wrote:

> (setq message-send-mail-function 'smtpmail-send-it)
> (setq smtpmail-starttls-credentials '(("smtp.gmail.com" 587 nil nil)))
> (setq smtpmail-auth-credentials '(("smtp.gmail.com" 587 "myusername" "mypasswd")))
> (setq smtpmail-default-smtp-server "smtp.gmail.com")
> (setq smtpmail-smtp-server "smtp.gmail.com")
> (setq smtpmail-smtp-service 587))

This is all fine.

>> If it's still not working, make sure starttls.el can find the
>> necessary software.  The following:
>>
>> (executable-find starttls-program)
>>
>> should return something other than nil.  If not, adjust the value of
>> starttls-program accordingly with customize-variable.
>
> I understood if I use GnuTLS then starttls-program is not used but
> GnuTLS program gnu-cli in starttls-use-gnutls function. Should I set
> starttls-program?

This is probably the problem.  I use starttls:

starttls (starttls) 0.10

and it works for me.  Maybe someone that uses GnuTLS can help you?
Otherwise you can try to walk with me through the setup of
starttls.el, which is not too bad:

(defcustom starttls-gnutls-program "gnutls-cli"
  "Name of GNUTLS command line tool.
This program is used when GNUTLS is used, i.e. when
`starttls-use-gnutls' is non-nil."
  :version "22.1"
  :type 'string
  :group 'starttls)

(defcustom starttls-program "starttls"
  "The program to run in a subprocess to open an TLSv1 connection.
This program is used when the `starttls' command is used,
i.e. when `starttls-use-gnutls' is nil."
  :type 'string
  :group 'starttls)

(defcustom starttls-use-gnutls (not (executable-find starttls-program))
  "*Whether to use GNUTLS instead of the `starttls' command."
  :version "22.1"
  :type 'boolean
  :group 'starttls)

So you have to check all three variables and let us know their
values...

starttls-gnutls-program won't work if gnutls-cli is not in your path,
actually.  I wonder why the authors didn't use executable-find, so it
would be undefined (and throw an error) if gnutls-cli doesn't exist in
the path.  Maybe there's a good reason.  cc-ing Daiki and Simon in
case they have some insight.

Ted

* Re: gmail from gnus
@ 2006-11-21 19:33           ` rahed
       [not found]           ` <mailman.956.1164137613.2155.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
From: rahed @ 2006-11-21 19:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> writes:

>> I understood if I use GnuTLS then starttls-program is not used but
>> GnuTLS program gnu-cli in starttls-use-gnutls function. Should I set
>> starttls-program?
>
> This is probably the problem.  I use starttls:
>
> starttls (starttls) 0.10
>
> and it works for me.  Maybe someone that uses GnuTLS can help you?

Actually I don't mind what to use. What should I change to start
communicate with gmail via starttls instead of gnutls-cli?

> Otherwise you can try to walk with me through the setup of
> starttls.el, which is not too bad:
>
> (defcustom starttls-gnutls-program "gnutls-cli"
>   "Name of GNUTLS command line tool.
> This program is used when GNUTLS is used, i.e. when
> `starttls-use-gnutls' is non-nil."
>   :version "22.1"
>   :type 'string
>   :group 'starttls)
>
> (defcustom starttls-program "starttls"
>   "The program to run in a subprocess to open an TLSv1 connection.
> This program is used when the `starttls' command is used,
> i.e. when `starttls-use-gnutls' is nil."
>   :type 'string
>   :group 'starttls)
>
> (defcustom starttls-use-gnutls (not (executable-find starttls-program))
>   "*Whether to use GNUTLS instead of the `starttls' command."
>   :version "22.1"
>   :type 'boolean
>   :group 'starttls)
>
> So you have to check all three variables and let us know their
> values...

They're this way.

starttls-gnutls-program   gnutls-cli
stgarttls-program         starttls
starttls-use-gnutls       t

I'm afraid gnutls won't work with emacs and on windows, at least from
the Message-ID: <87mz8t455l.fsf@latte.josefsson.org> thread on
gmane.network.gnutls.general.

--
Radek

* Re: gmail from gnus
       [not found]           ` <mailman.956.1164137613.2155.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
@ 2006-11-22 16:04             ` Ted Zlatanov
       [not found]               ` <mailman.1030.1164404261.2155.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2006-11-22 16:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 21 Nov 2006, raherh@gmail.com wrote:

> Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> writes:
>
>>> I understood if I use GnuTLS then starttls-program is not used but
>>> GnuTLS program gnu-cli in starttls-use-gnutls function. Should I set
>>> starttls-program?
>>
>> This is probably the problem.  I use starttls:
>>
>> starttls (starttls) 0.10
>> Copyright (C) 1999 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
>>
>> and it works for me.  Maybe someone that uses GnuTLS can help you?
>
> Actually I don't mind what to use. What should I change to start
> communicate with gmail via starttls instead of gnutls-cli?

1) Install starttls and set the location in starttls-program

2) Set starttls-use-gnutls to nil (should be automatic after (1))

> They're this way.
>
> starttls-gnutls-program   gnutls-cli
> stgarttls-program         starttls
> starttls-use-gnutls       t
>
> I'm afraid gnutls won't work with emacs and on windows, at least from
> the Message-ID: <87mz8t455l.fsf@latte.josefsson.org> thread on
> gmane.network.gnutls.general.

OK, I don't know GnuTLS so I can't help you with that.

if (executable-find starttls-program) returns nil AFTER you've done
(1) above, the installation didn't work or you've set the
starttls-program variable to the wrong thing.  A common problem on
Windows is that the '\' character in paths needs to be escaped, but
you can usually use '/' instead.

good luck
Ted

* Re: gmail from gnus
@ 2006-11-24 21:37               ` rahed
       [not found]               ` <mailman.1030.1164404261.2155.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
From: rahed @ 2006-11-24 21:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> writes:

>>> This is probably the problem.  I use starttls:
>>>
>>> starttls (starttls) 0.10
>>> Copyright (C) 1999 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
>>>
>>> and it works for me.  Maybe someone that uses GnuTLS can help you?

I'm not able to build starttls on windows with MinGW.

starttls.c complains it cannot find headers (sys/socket.h, sys/ioctl.h,
netdb.h netinet/in.h) and also throws errors.

I should probably ask somewhere else. It appears gnus and gmail don't
fit together.

Thank you for help.

--
Radek

* Re: gmail from gnus
       [not found]               ` <mailman.1030.1164404261.2155.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
@ 2006-11-25 13:06                 ` Simias
                                     ` (2 more replies)
From: Simias @ 2006-11-25 13:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

rahed <raherh@gmail.com> writes:

> I'm not able to build starttls on windows with MinGW.
>
> starttls.c complains it cannot find headers (sys/socket.h, sys/ioctl.h,
> netdb.h netinet/in.h) and also throws errors.
>
> I should probably ask somewhere else. It appears gnus and gmail don't
> fit together.
>
> Thank you for help.

Hi,

I don't know if this could help, but i'm reading my gmail's account mail
using gnus, but not directly: i use fetchmail to download the inbox from
pop.google to my /var/mail/user and then simply read it with gnus. When
i send a mail, i just put my gmail address in the "From" field, and
emacs sends it with mail, so it looks to the receiver i mailed whith my
gmail account.
I'm sure this technique has some limitations, but at least it works fine
for me, and seemed way easier (at least at the time i did it) than
configuring emacs for gmail.

--
Simias
email rot13-ified

* Re: gmail from gnus
@ 2006-11-25 14:04                   ` Hadron Quark
       [not found]                   ` <mailman.1095.1164466382.2155.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
From: Hadron Quark @ 2006-11-25 14:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

Simias <fvzvnf.a@tznvy.pbz> writes:

> rahed <raherh@gmail.com> writes:

>> I'm not able to build starttls on windows with MinGW.
>>
>> starttls.c complains it cannot find headers (sys/socket.h, sys/ioctl.h,
>> netdb.h netinet/in.h) and also throws errors.
>>
>> I should probably ask somewhere else. It appears gnus and gmail don't
>> fit together.
>>
>> Thank you for help.
>>

> Hi,
>
> I don't know if this could help, but i'm reading my gmail's account mail
> using gnus, but not directly: i use fetchmail to download the inbox from
> pop.google to my /var/mail/user and then simply read it with gnus. When
> i send a mail, i just put my gmail address in the "From" field, and
> emacs sends it with mail, so it looks to the receiver i mailed whith my
> gmail account.
> I'm sure this technique has some limitations, but at least it works fine
> for me, and seemed way easier (at least at the time i did it) than
> configuring emacs for gmail.

The limitations are that people with dynamic IP are often blacklisted
because their IP came from a bad "pool" which has been misused in the
past. I use gmail to send my email since its a trusted smarthost.

* Re: gmail from gnus
@ 2006-11-25 14:52                   ` rahed
       [not found]                   ` <mailman.1095.1164466382.2155.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
From: rahed @ 2006-11-25 14:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

Simias <fvzvnf.a@tznvy.pbz> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I don't know if this could help, but i'm reading my gmail's account mail
> using gnus, but not directly: i use fetchmail to download the inbox from
> pop.google to my /var/mail/user and then simply read it with gnus. When
> i send a mail, i just put my gmail address in the "From" field, and
> emacs sends it with mail, so it looks to the receiver i mailed whith my
> gmail account.
> I'm sure this technique has some limitations, but at least it works fine
> for me, and seemed way easier (at least at the time i did it) than
> configuring emacs for gmail.

I'm on windows (with this problem) and took that fetchmail is only on
unix platforms. Is it true?

--
Radek

* Re: gmail from gnus
       [not found]                   ` <mailman.1095.1164466382.2155.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
@ 2006-11-26  4:45                     ` ssSslang
From: ssSslang @ 2006-11-26  4:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

rahed <raherh@gmail.com> writes:

> I'm on windows (with this problem) and took that fetchmail is only on
> unix platforms. Is it true?

You can use hamster to fetch mails from gamil, and also to send mail.
But if you have more than one smtp server, I recommend you to use the
msmtp win32 port.

--
ssSslang

* Re: gmail from gnus
       [not found]               ` <mailman.1030.1164404261.2155.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
@ 2006-11-27 16:17                 ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2006-11-27 16:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 24 Nov 2006, raherh@gmail.com wrote:

> I'm not able to build starttls on windows with MinGW.
>
> starttls.c complains it cannot find headers (sys/socket.h, sys/ioctl.h,
> netdb.h netinet/in.h) and also throws errors.
>
> I should probably ask somewhere else. It appears gnus and gmail don't
> fit together.

Neither Gnus nor Gmail are the problem.  You just don't have a usable
starttls binary.  You could try to compile under cygwin, or you can
talk to the GnuTLS mailing list for help.  Either way, you need
something to talk TLS between Gnus and Gmail, that's all.

Ted