* SSL Connections (gmail)
@ 2008-11-08 18:44 Rupert Swarbrick
From: Rupert Swarbrick @ 2008-11-08 18:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Hi there,

I'm a mostly content user of gnus, except for one minor niggle. I
connect to gmail's servers via imap using something like this:

(setq gnus-secondary-select-methods
      '((nnimap "GMail"
                (nnimap-address "imap.gmail.com")
                (nnimap-server-port 993)
                (nnimap-authinfo-file "~/.imap-authinfo")
                (nnimap-stream ssl))))

which works fine, but occasionally the ssl connection dies (I think),
but emacs/gnus doesn't notice and thus hangs. I'd like to know if
there's a way to tell gnus to forget about this connection and open a
new one.

I note that quitting and restarting gnus or waiting ~10 or 20 minutes
somehow invalidates or expires the connection and then a new one will be
successfully created, but I'd like to be able to "kill the connection"
myself and start again.

Also, does anyone know whether there's a timeout variable? It seems that
gnus will hang forever on such a connection until you hit C-g.

I did dig through the code a bit, but got lost and I don't really know
what I'm looking for. Can anyone help?

Rupert

[-- Attachment #1.2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 314 bytes --]

* Re: SSL Connections (gmail)
@ 2008-11-09  9:42 ` William Xu
From: William Xu @ 2008-11-09  9:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Rupert Swarbrick <rswarbrick@gmail.com> writes:

> I note that quitting and restarting gnus or waiting ~10 or 20 minutes
> somehow invalidates or expires the connection and then a new one will be
> successfully created, but I'd like to be able to "kill the connection"
> myself and start again.

Goto the *Server* buffer, to close a server:

,----
| C runs the command gnus-server-close-server
|   which is an interactive compiled Lisp function in `gnus-srvr.el'.
| It is bound to C, <menu-bar> <Connections> <Close>.
| (gnus-server-close-server server)
|
| Close server.
`----

then to start a server manually:

,----

`----

> Also, does anyone know whether there's a timeout variable? It seems that
> gnus will hang forever on such a connection until you hit C-g.

I don't know.  Maybe you can config gnus to fetch mails periodly using
gnus daemon, so as to keep the connection alive.

Alternatively, you might try gnus agent (info "(gnus)Gnus Unplugged"),
which i'm using myself.

--
William

http://williamxu.net9.org