From: Richard Riley <rileyrgdev@gmail.com>
To: info-gnus-english@gnu.org
Subject: Re: Getting started reading mail stored in local maildir
Date: Mon, 09 Feb 2009 01:20:22 +0100	[thread overview]

Dan Davison <davison@stats.ox.ac.uk> writes:

> I want to try out gnus, but have got nowhere so far. I would greatly
> appreciate instruction on how to read mail stored locally in maildirs.
>
> My email is downloaded by getmail, and stored by procmail into a variety
> of maildirs stored under ~/email/. However in order to start playing with
> gnus, I have created the directory ~/Maildir containing a single
> maildir-format directory:
>
> ~> ls ~/Maildir/dan-mail/
> cur  new  tmp
>
> My ~/.gnus.el contains
>
> (setq gnus-select-method '(nnnil ""))
> (setq gnus-secondary-select-methods
>       '((nnmaildir "" (directory "/home/dan/Maildir/"))))
>
> When I start gnus I enter a (Group Plugged) buffer which is empty
> with the message "No more unread newsgroups". When I hit "L" I see
>
>        0: nndraft:queue
>        0: nndraft:drafts
>
> When I hit "^" I enter a (Server Plugged) buffer containing
>
>  {nnfolder:archive} (closed)
>
>  RET on that line results in a message "Connecting to archive ... done", after
> which "L" displays
>
>      {nnfolder:archive} (opened)
>

> This isn't the first time I've lost a few hours trying to get started
> with gnus, so I am giving up and sending this (admittedly pathetic) email.
>
> Thanks for any help!
>
> Dan

I used to use local Maildir so know it works. I cant remember what i did
though, but did you try here?

http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/UsingProcmailWithGnus#toc3

--
 important and urgent problems of the technology of today are no longer the satisfactions of the primary needs or of archetypal wishes, but the reparation of the evils and damages by the technology of yesterday.  ~Dennis Gabor, Innovations:  Scientific, Technological and Social, 1970