From: Gunnar Vestergaard <post@gunnar-pv.fo>
To: info-gnus-english@gnu.org
Subject: Re: Incorrect time zone setting
Date: Wed, 06 Jan 2010 23:28:23 +0100	[thread overview]

Reiner Steib wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 05 2010, Gunnar Vestergaard wrote:
>
>> When I post an article in Emacs/gnus, the Date header is set incorrectly. The
>> time zone appears as -0100, whereas I am located in the time zone +0100.
>
> I'm not sure if you really mean "displayed incorrectly" or "generated
> incorrectly".  How (where) did you check?

This is from the raw headers in my message posted to a newsgroup:
Date: Mon, 04 Jan 2010 10:54:28 -0100

That above is the authentic raw output from GNUS.

And my time zone is really +0100.

>> How do I correct that?
>
> I'm quite sure that Gnus (message.el) doesn't do anything incorrect
> here, since the defun is pretty simple and doesn't frob timezone data.
> Maybe you OS returns bogus data.

My Windows XP is set to +0100 time zone which is in Berlin. That is
correct in my OS.

> (defun message-make-date (&optional now)
>   "Make a valid data header.
> If NOW, use that time instead."
>   (let ((system-time-locale "C"))
>     (format-time-string "%a, %d %b %Y %T %z" now)))

How do I evaluate this into an expression in Emacs? I don't know
anything about LISP.