* How to develop even better explanations, ever better explanations not so opaque blocking the passage of the radiant energy and the light to understanding the lisp coding a novice would insert to setup mail in gnus.
@ 2006-07-16 17:30 Don Saklad
From: Don Saklad @ 2006-07-16 17:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

What is the appropriate mail system to use for setting up
mail in gnus for this system on this machine?...

. How would you develop an even better explanation, ever better
  explanations than are currently available?... Explications that
  are not so opaque blocking the passage of the radiant energy
  and the light to understanding the lisp coding a novice would
  insert to setup mail in gnus.

  If the novice does not know the lisp coding, the novice would
  not know what is inserted for the mail setup in gnus. So a
  better explanation could include term by term, tag by tag what
  is going on in the lisp coding to be inserted.

. Then there is the question of how the novice can identify what
  are the applicable, what are the appropriate mail system
  requirements they are using already where they do not know how
  to check for this information, if they do not understand the
  technobabble that others relate in explaining how their system
  is setup. Answers to the question of how to identify the mail
  system need even more simplification that avoid using often
  misused jargon or jargon that could be unfamiliar.

I've been around this corner and related corners of the net for
years and so have friends and acquaintances expert in other areas
of interest like networks. We haven't figured out the
explanations because the dedication needed to devote energy to
the complex text for setup is cumbersome.

* Re: How to develop even better explanations, ever better explanations not so opaque blocking the passage of the radiant energy and the light to understanding the lisp coding a novice would insert to setup mail in gnus.
  2006-07-16 17:30 How to develop even better explanations, ever better explanations not so opaque blocking the passage of the radiant energy and the light to understanding the lisp coding a novice would insert to setup mail in gnus Don Saklad
@ 2006-07-17 14:12 ` B. T. Raven
       [not found]   ` <mailman.4199.1153158923.9609.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
From: B. T. Raven @ 2006-07-17 14:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Don Saklad" <dsaklad@gnu.org> wrote in message
> What is the appropriate mail system to use for setting up
> mail in gnus for this system on this machine?...

Which system? Which machine?

Mutatis mutandis (use your own name and isp info of course), put the
following into .emacs

(setq user-full-name "B.T. Raven")
(setq user-mail-address "ecinmn@alcisp.com")

(setq smtpmail-default-smtp-server "mail.alcisp.com")
(setq smtpmail-local-domain nil)
(setq send-mail-function 'smtpmail-send-it)

(load-library "smtpmail")

(setenv "MAILHOST" "mail.alcisp.com")
(setq rmail-primary-inbox-list
 '("ecinmn@alcisp.com") rmail-pop-password-required t)
(setq gnus-select-method '(nntp "news.alcisp.com"))
(setq gnus-check-new-newsgroups nil)
(load-library "message")
(setq message-send-mail-function 'smtpmail-send-it)

Save the .emacs file. Exit Emacs. Start emacs. Type: M-x gnus (Alt and x
simultaneously, or Esc and then x). By the way, I just tried this and it
locked up Emacs, but I had forgotten to get out of Outlook Express first.
Emacs should probably degrade more gracefully in this pathological case.
Otherwise it should work. (This was run on msw98 and emacs 21.3) You will
have to type in your user name and password each time. There are ways of
getting around this, but I haven't figured them out yet. I don't want my
password in clear text on the machine anywhere, even though it is there
somewhere in the Outlook Express setup.

> . How would you develop an even better explanation, ever better
>   explanations than are currently available?... Explications that
>   are not so opaque blocking the passage of the radiant energy
>   and the light to understanding the lisp coding a novice would
>   insert to setup mail in gnus.
>
>   If the novice does not know the lisp coding, the novice would
>   not know what is inserted for the mail setup in gnus. So a
>   better explanation could include term by term, tag by tag what
>   is going on in the lisp coding to be inserted.

If you need to understand all the inner workings of the program, then you
will have to master elisp first (and maybe C, and maybe even advanced
computer science principles.) If we need to understand it as well as RMS
does, then we should probably wait for metempsychosis.

@ 2006-07-17 17:46   ` Priyadarshan
       [not found]   ` <mailman.4199.1153158923.9609.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
From: Priyadarshan @ 2006-07-17 17:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,
There is something that has been stopping me from using gnus, and that
is how to manage multiple accounts, not just multiple SMTPs, but also
multiple  identities, like Thunderbird does.

I have searched for an answer to this with no success.

Could you please add to your example the lines needed to implement that?

Thank you

Priyadarshan Bontempi

@ 2006-07-19  0:58     ` B. T. Raven
From: B. T. Raven @ 2006-07-19  0:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'm too much of a newbie to help with that, but I confess that I would
like to know too. Maybe one of the gurus will deign to explain.

"Priyadarshan" <newsgroup@bontempi.net> wrote in message
> [...]
RMS
> > does, then we should probably wait for metempsychosis.
> >

> >> . Then there is the question of how the novice can identify what
> >>   are the applicable, what are the appropriate mail system
> >>   requirements they are using already where they do not know how
> >>   to check for this information, if they do not understand the
> >>   technobabble that others relate in explaining how their system
> >>   is setup. Answers to the question of how to identify the mail
> >>   system need even more simplification that avoid using often
> >>   misused jargon or jargon that could be unfamiliar.
> >>

> >> I've been around this corner and related corners of the net for
> >> years and so have friends and acquaintances expert in other areas
> >> of interest like networks. We haven't figured out the
> >> explanations because the dedication needed to devote energy to
> >> the complex text for setup is cumbersome.

* Managing multiple identities (was: ...)
@ 2006-07-19  8:29     ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2006-07-19  8:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, Jul 17 2006, Priyadarshan wrote:

> There is something that has been stopping me from using gnus, and that
> is how to manage multiple accounts, not just multiple SMTPs, but also
> multiple  identities, like Thunderbird does.
>
> I have searched for an answer to this with no success.
[ Citation stripped.  Please don't top-post. ]

Did you read (info "(gnus)Posting Styles")?

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)

* Re: Managing multiple identities (was: ...)
@ 2006-07-19  9:33       ` Antoine Junod
       [not found]         ` <mailman.4248.1153642790.9609.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
From: Antoine Junod @ 2006-07-19  9:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

> On Mon, Jul 17 2006, Priyadarshan wrote:
>
> > There is something that has been stopping me from using gnus, and that
> > is how to manage multiple accounts, not just multiple SMTPs, but also
> > multiple  identities, like Thunderbird does.
> >
> > I have searched for an answer to this with no success.
> [ Citation stripped.  Please don't top-post. ]
>
> Did you read (info "(gnus)Posting Styles")?

I'm too looking for a way to use serveral identities, and i've read
the "Posting Style" info page. It seems it's not possible to force the
use of a given identity. I'm wrong?

Thanks for your reply.
-AJ

* Re: Managing multiple identities
@ 2006-07-19 10:29         ` Tassilo Horn
       [not found]         ` <mailman.4248.1153642790.9609.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2006-07-19 10:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

Antoine Junod <toto@tots-ns.net> writes:

Hi Antoine,

> I'm too looking for a way to use serveral identities, and i've read
> the "Posting Style" info page. It seems it's not possible to force the
> use of a given identity. I'm wrong?

No, you're right. Hava a look at [1], heading "Alternate
Personalities". GnusAlias or GnusPers should do the trick.

Bye,
Tassilo

Footnotes:
[1] http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/CategoryGnus
--
My opinions may have changed, but not the fact that I am right.

* Re: Managing multiple identities (was: ...)
@ 2006-07-20 12:46       ` B. T. Raven
From: B. T. Raven @ 2006-07-20 12:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Reiner Steib" <reinersteib+gmane@imap.cc> wrote in message
> On Mon, Jul 17 2006, Priyadarshan wrote:
>
> > There is something that has been stopping me from using gnus, and that
> > is how to manage multiple accounts, not just multiple SMTPs, but also
> > multiple  identities, like Thunderbird does.
> >
> > I have searched for an answer to this with no success.
> [ Citation stripped.  Please don't top-post. ]
>
> Did you read (info "(gnus)Posting Styles")?
>
> Bye, Reiner.

The problem I have with understanding the Gnus Posting Style info page is
that it doesn't explain how the variable 'gnus-posting-styles is used in:

"
  So here's a new example:

     (setq gnus-posting-styles
           '((".*"
              (signature-file "~/.signature")
              (name "User Name")
"

In ver 21.3 I don't see this variable when I type C-h v gnusTAB.    Where
else is it referenced? Would it do anything if I put something like this
in the .emacs or .gnus?:

 (setq gnus-posting-styles
           '(((message-news-p)
              (address "add1@isp"))
            ((message-mail-p)
              (address "add2@isp"))
)

Thanks,

Ed

* Re: Managing multiple identities
@ 2006-07-21  2:31         ` Ivan Boldyrev
From: Ivan Boldyrev @ 2006-07-21  2:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 9541 day of my life B. T. Raven wrote:
> The problem I have with understanding the Gnus Posting Style info page is
> that it doesn't explain how the variable 'gnus-posting-styles is used ...
>
> In ver 21.3 I don't see this variable when I type C-h v gnusTAB.

Load gnus then check for variable.

> Would it do anything if I put something like this in the .emacs or
> .gnus?:
>
>  (setq gnus-posting-styles
>            '(((message-news-p)
>               (address "add1@isp"))
>             ((message-mail-p)
>               (address "add2@isp"))
> )

I setq gnus-posting-styles in my .gnus.el, but .emacs would be fine
too.

--
Ivan Boldyrev

                                   Violets are red
                                   Roses are blue
                                   It's amazing what DNA splicing can do.

@ 2006-07-26 17:20           ` Antoine Junod
From: Antoine Junod @ 2006-07-26 17:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

Tassilo Horn <heimdall@uni-koblenz.de> writes:

> Antoine Junod <toto@tots-ns.net> writes:
>
> Hi Antoine,
>
> > I'm too looking for a way to use serveral identities, and i've read
> > the "Posting Style" info page. It seems it's not possible to force the
> > use of a given identity. I'm wrong?
>
> No, you're right. Hava a look at [1], heading "Alternate
> Personalities". GnusAlias or GnusPers should do the trick.
>
> Footnotes:
> [1] http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/CategoryGnus

Thanks a lot for the link :)

-AJ

* Re: How to develop even better explanations, ever better explanations not so opaque blocking the passage of the radiant energy and the light to understanding the lisp coding a novice would insert to setup mail in gnus.
       [not found]   ` <mailman.4199.1153158923.9609.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
  2006-07-19  0:58     ` How to develop even better explanations, ever better explanations not so opaque blocking the passage of the radiant energy and the light to understanding the lisp coding a novice would insert to setup mail in gnus B. T. Raven
@ 2006-07-29  5:52     ` Harald Maier
From: Harald Maier @ 2006-07-29  5:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

Priyadarshan <newsgroup@bontempi.net> writes:

> There is something that has been stopping me from using gnus, and
> that is how to manage multiple accounts, not just multiple SMTPs,
> but also multiple identities, like Thunderbird does.
>
> I have searched for an answer to this with no success.

You will find an answer in the Manual under the Index-Entry
"mail-sources".

Harald