* Re: Using giganews, "g" doesn't update message counts
       [not found]   ` <icofflvyob.fsf@bgp488938bgs.summit01.nj.comcast.net>
@ 2002-05-13  0:40     ` those who know me have no need of my name
       [not found]       ` <ick7q8x08g.fsf@bgp488938bgs.summit01.nj.comcast.net>
From: those who know me have no need of my name @ 2002-05-13  0:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

<icofflvyob.fsf@bgp488938bgs.summit01.nj.comcast.net> divulged:
>those who know me have no need of my name <not-a-real-address@usa.net> writes:
>> <icsn4xweec.fsf@bgp488938bgs.summit01.nj.comcast.net> divulged:

>> >My cable provider recently switched me to Giganews
>>
>> when they did that did you follow the steps outlined in the `changing
>> servers' node of the manual?  if not your problem likely stems from the
>> different article numbering.
>
>No, its not message renumbering, I suspected I'd have a problem
>with message numbers so I deleted my .newsrc.eld and started over.

did you remove .newsrc too?  (gnus will use it if the .eld file is
missing.)

if that's not it then you'll need to enable logging, i.e., (setq
nntp-record-commands t) then look in or post the *nntp-log* buffer.  (if
you post don't forget to remove/redact any authentication details.)

* Re: Using giganews, "g" doesn't update message counts
       [not found]         ` <icg00vwssp.fsf@bgp488938bgs.summit01.nj.comcast.net>
@ 2002-05-13 23:38           ` Dan Espen
From: Dan Espen @ 2002-05-13 23:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dan Espen <dane@mk.telcordia.com> writes:

> Dan Espen <dane@mk.telcordia.com> writes:
>
> > those who know me have no need of my name <not-a-real-address@usa.net> writes:
> >
> > > <icofflvyob.fsf@bgp488938bgs.summit01.nj.comcast.net> divulged:

> > > did you remove .newsrc too?  (gnus will use it if the .eld file is
> > > missing.)
> >
> > Yes, I removed both.
> Kai suggests:
>
> > > My guess is that my login is timing out and plain "g" isn't enough
> > > to get gnus to login in.
> >
> > Does it help to kill the corresponding server buffer?  It might be
> > named " *nntpd*" or " *server foo*".  Note the leading space in the
> > buffer name.  You can use C-x k to kill the buffer.

Killing the buffers didn't help.

> It might help, I'll try it when my connection times out, but
> obviously, I shouldn't have to do that.
>
> Scott G observes:
>
> > > When I enter L, I see all my groups, but the unread counts are zero.
> > > Its only after I read a message in a group with messages, then exit
> > > that group to go back to the group buffer, and then press "g" that
> > > all the other groups show unread messages.
> >
> > I have a similar problem, which I can usually fix by going to each
> > group and hitting M-g on it.  Does that help for you?
>
> I'll try that too, but it doesn't sound like the right solution either.

That works.  It doesn't seem very user friendly, but it does do the job.