* Today's articles/mails..
@ 2010-12-21  3:08 bgmrao
       [not found] ` <mailman.15.1292927362.19366.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
From: bgmrao @ 2010-12-21  3:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Could someone please help with this?

How do I restrict the article buffer to "today's"/"This week's" articles
only; and include/exclude dormant/read articles?

Thanks, Madhu

* Re: Today's articles/mails..
@ 2010-12-21 10:28 ` Tassilo Horn
       [not found] ` <mailman.15.1292927362.19366.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2010-12-21 10:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

bgmrao@gmail.com writes:

Hi Madhu,

> How do I restrict the article buffer to "today's"/"This week's"
> articles only; and include/exclude dormant/read articles?

I think you mean the summary buffer, right?

,----[ (info "(gnus)Limiting") ]
| `/ t'
|      Ask for a number and then limit the summary buffer to articles
|      older than (or equal to) that number of days
|      (`gnus-summary-limit-to-age').  If given a prefix, limit to
|      articles younger than that number of days.
`----

So in your case, `C-u 7 / t' would limit the current summary to messages
from the last week.

,----[ (info "(gnus)Limiting") ]
`----

,----[ C-h f gnus-summary-limit-to-marks RET ]
| gnus-summary-limit-to-marks is an interactive compiled Lisp function in
| `gnus-sum.el'.
|
| (gnus-summary-limit-to-marks MARKS &optional REVERSE)
|
| Limit the summary buffer to articles that are marked with MARKS (e.g. "DK").
| If REVERSE (the prefix), limit the summary buffer to articles that are
| not marked with MARKS.  MARKS can either be a string of marks or a
| list of marks.
| Returns how many articles were removed.
`----

So `/ m !? RET' would limit to ticked and dormant articles, `C-u / m !?'
would limit to articles not marked ticked and dormant.

To remove the last limitation, use

,----[ (info "(gnus)Limiting") ]
| `/ w'
|      Pop the previous limit off the stack and restore it
|      (`gnus-summary-pop-limit').  If given a prefix, pop all limits off
|      the stack.
`----

HTH,
Tassilo

* Re: Today's articles/mails..
       [not found] ` <mailman.15.1292927362.19366.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
@ 2010-12-21 11:46   ` Richard Riley
       [not found]     ` <mailman.1.1292937453.31822.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
From: Richard Riley @ 2010-12-21 11:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

> bgmrao@gmail.com writes:
>
> Hi Madhu,
>
>> How do I restrict the article buffer to "today's"/"This week's"
>> articles only; and include/exclude dormant/read articles?
>
> I think you mean the summary buffer, right?
>
> ,----[ (info "(gnus)Limiting") ]
> | `/ t'
> |      Ask for a number and then limit the summary buffer to articles
> |      older than (or equal to) that number of days
> |      (`gnus-summary-limit-to-age').  If given a prefix, limit to
> |      articles younger than that number of days.
> `----
>
> So in your case, `C-u 7 / t' would limit the current summary to messages
> from the last week.

"-7" does the same.

> ,----[ (info "(gnus)Limiting") ]
> | `/ w'
> |      Pop the previous limit off the stack and restore it
> |      (`gnus-summary-pop-limit').  If given a prefix, pop all limits off
> |      the stack.
> `----

It would be nice (or is there) to have a variable to disable this :
personally I never want the limits stacked and would like my next one to
override the previous rather than having to manually pop the limit
first.

* Re: Today's articles/mails..
@ 2010-12-21 13:16   ` bgmrao
From: bgmrao @ 2010-12-21 13:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

    > I think you mean the summary buffer, right?

Sorry, I meant summary buffer. (getting back to using gnus after a
long while).

    > ,----[ (info "(gnus)Limiting") ]
    > | `/ t'
    > |      Ask for a number and then limit the summary buffer to articles
    > |      older than (or equal to) that number of days
    > |      (`gnus-summary-limit-to-age').  If given a prefix, limit to
    > |      articles younger than that number of days.
    > `----

    > So in your case, `C-u 7 / t' would limit the current summary to messages
    > from the last week.

Thanks for all the info (I feel stupid having asked, I had used many of
this a few years ago and should have re-read the manual before
posting).

However, if I have to see _all_ of this weeks articles
(read/ticked/dormant), I have to bring them up in the summary and then
limit to this week. Otherwise, I just see the unread/ticked articles
when I enter the summary buffer.. am I doing something wrong? Is there a
simpler, one-step method to see all of the last 7 days articles?

Thanks,
Madhu

* Re: Today's articles/mails..
@ 2010-12-21 13:17     ` Tassilo Horn
       [not found]     ` <mailman.1.1292937453.31822.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2010-12-21 13:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Richard Riley <rileyrg@googlemail.com> writes:

Hi Rich,

>> ,----[ (info "(gnus)Limiting") ]
>> | `/ w'
>> |      Pop the previous limit off the stack and restore it
>> |      (`gnus-summary-pop-limit').  If given a prefix, pop all limits off
>> |      the stack.
>> `----
>

> It would be nice (or is there) to have a variable to disable this :

Hm, that would mean losing the ability of limiting with different
concerns, like limiting to articles from Richard received the last 30
days.

> personally I never want the limits stacked and would like my next one
> to override the previous rather than having to manually pop the limit
> first.

I think you could advice all gnus-summary-limit-* commands to do a
(gnus-summary-pop-limit t) before, but that's a bit ugly IMHO.

Bye,
Tassilo

Sent from my Emacs

* Re: Today's articles/mails..
       [not found]     ` <mailman.1.1292937453.31822.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
@ 2010-12-21 13:26       ` Richard Riley
From: Richard Riley @ 2010-12-21 13:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

> Richard Riley <rileyrg@googlemail.com> writes:
>
> Hi Rich,
>
>>> ,----[ (info "(gnus)Limiting") ]
>>> `----
>>

>> It would be nice (or is there) to have a variable to disable this :
>
> Hm, that would mean losing the ability of limiting with different
> concerns, like limiting to articles from Richard received the last 30
> days.

This true but normally (99%) of the time I only filter on last day or
name. Rarely both so the default for me would be better not to stack.

--
☘ http://www.shamrockirishbar.com, http://splash-of-open-sauce.blogspot.com/ http://www.richardriley.net

* Re: Today's articles/mails..
@ 2010-12-21 13:26     ` Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2010-12-21 13:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

bgmrao@gmail.com writes:

Hi Madhu,

> Sorry, I meant summary buffer. (getting back to using gnus after a
> long while).
>
>     > ,----[ (info "(gnus)Limiting") ]
>     > | `/ t'
>     > |      Ask for a number and then limit the summary buffer to articles
>     > |      older than (or equal to) that number of days
>     > |      (`gnus-summary-limit-to-age').  If given a prefix, limit to
>     > |      articles younger than that number of days.
>     > `----
>
>     > So in your case, `C-u 7 / t' would limit the current summary to messages
>     > from the last week.
>
> Thanks for all the info (I feel stupid having asked, I had used many
> of this a few years ago and should have re-read the manual before
> posting).

You're welcome.  No need to feel ashamed.

> However, if I have to see _all_ of this weeks articles
> (read/ticked/dormant), I have to bring them up in the summary and then
> limit to this week.

Yes, right.  Limiting works only on articles already shown.

To get enter a group showning only the "right" articles, there's no
general way, I guess.  At least for IMAP groups, you might be able to
use a search on a group (`G G') instead of entering it (at some point in
the future, cause date searches seem to be not implemented right now).

,----[ C-h f nnir-imap-make-query RET ]
| nnir-imap-make-query is a compiled Lisp function in `nnir.el'.
|
| (nnir-imap-make-query CRITERIA QSTRING)
|
| Parse the query string and criteria into an appropriate IMAP search
| expression, returning the string query to make.
|
| This implements a little language designed to return the expected results
| to an arbitrary query string to the end user.
|
| The search is always case-insensitive, as defined by RFC2060, and supports
| the following features (inspired by the Google search input language):
|
| Automatic "and" queries
|     If you specify multiple words then they will be treated as an "and"
|     expression intended to match all components.
|
| Phrase searches
|     If you wrap your query in double-quotes then it will be treated as a
|     literal string.
|
| Negative terms
|     If you precede a term with "-" then it will negate that.
|
| "OR" queries
|     If you include an upper-case "OR" in your search it will cause the
|     term before it and the term after it to be treated as alternatives.
|
| In future the following will be added to the language:
|  * support for date matches
|  * support for location of text matching within the query
|  * from/to/etc headers
|  * additional search terms
|  * flag based searching
|  * anything else that the RFC supports, basically.
`----

Bye,
Tassilo

* Re: Today's articles/mails..
@ 2010-12-21 13:37       ` Andrew Cohen
From: Andrew Cohen @ 2010-12-21 13:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

    Tassilo> bgmrao@gmail.com writes: Hi Madhu,

[...]

    Tassilo> To get enter a group showning only the "right" articles,
    Tassilo> there's no general way, I guess.  At least for IMAP groups,
    Tassilo> you might be able to use a search on a group (`G G')
    Tassilo> instead of entering it (at some point in the future, cause
    Tassilo> date searches seem to be not implemented right now).

Not true! Since nnir now supports raw imap queries you can easily search
on the date. Imap supports the following date-related queries:

SENTBEFORE <date>
SENTON <date>
SENTSINCE <date>
SINCE <date>
BEFORE <date>

(these last two are aliases for SENTBEFORE and SENTSINCE).

If these aren't enough you can always search directly in the date
header.

Regards,
Andy

* Re: Today's articles/mails..
@ 2010-12-21 14:35         ` bgmrao
From: bgmrao @ 2010-12-21 14:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

On Tue, 21 Dec 2010 08:37:41 -0500, Andrew Cohen <cohen@andy.bu.edu> said:

    > Not true! Since nnir now supports raw imap queries you can easily search
    > on the date. Imap supports the following date-related queries:

    > SENTBEFORE <date>
    > SENTON <date>
    > SENTSINCE <date>
    > SINCE <date>
    > BEFORE <date>

Could you please point me the documentation of nnir setup/usage?
I couldn't find it in the gnus manual.

Thanks.

     > (these last two are aliases for SENTBEFORE and SENTSINCE).

    > If these aren't enough you can always search directly in the date
    > header.

    > Regards,
    > Andy

* Re: Today's articles/mails..
@ 2010-12-21 14:40           ` Andrew Cohen
From: Andrew Cohen @ 2010-12-21 14:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

    bgmrao> <cohen@andy.bu.edu> said:
    >> Not true! Since nnir now supports raw imap queries you can easily
    >> search on the date. Imap supports the following date-related
    >> queries:

    >> BEFORE <date>

    bgmrao> Could you please point me the documentation of nnir
    bgmrao> setup/usage?  I couldn't find it in the gnus manual.

This is all only in the latest development version of gnus. The manual
for the development version has a section entitled "Searching" that has
the instructions.

* Re: Today's articles/mails..
@ 2010-12-21 14:57         ` Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2010-12-21 14:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Andrew Cohen <cohen@andy.bu.edu> writes:

Hi Andrew,

>     Tassilo> To get enter a group showning only the "right" articles,
>     Tassilo> there's no general way, I guess.  At least for IMAP groups,
>     Tassilo> you might be able to use a search on a group (`G G')
>     Tassilo> instead of entering it (at some point in the future, cause
>     Tassilo> date searches seem to be not implemented right now).
>
> Not true! Since nnir now supports raw imap queries you can easily
> search on the date.  Imap supports the following date-related queries:
>
> SENTBEFORE <date>
> SENTON <date>
> SENTSINCE <date>
> SINCE <date>
> BEFORE <date>
>
> (these last two are aliases for SENTBEFORE and SENTSINCE).

Oh, cool.  In the RFC, I could see that the date is formatted as
1-Dec-2010.  Do you know if that's the only supported format?

It would be awesome if there was some nice completion mechanism
formulating IMAP queries.  For example, selecting a date with
`org-read-date' and translating it to the right format:

  (format-time-string "%d-%b-%Y" (org-read-date nil t))
  ;; C-x C-e
  ;; Select 1st December 2010
  ==> 01-Dec-2010

Bye,