* Re: Cannot IMAP with SSL
       [not found] <qotfzvi8pm1.fsf@venus.ling.helsinki.fi>
@ 2002-10-07 11:24 ` Robin S. Socha
       [not found]   ` <qotbs668lds.fsf@venus.ling.helsinki.fi>
From: Robin S. Socha @ 2002-10-07 11:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

* Jussi Piitulainen <jpiitula@ling.helsinki.fi> writes:

> Help?

<http://my.gnus.org/Members/robin/Doc/howto_imap/>? Also, is ssl.el in
your load path (comes with recent versions of Gnus in its contrib
directory)?

* Re: Cannot IMAP with SSL
       [not found]         ` <qotlm59cj7h.fsf@venus.ling.helsinki.fi>
@ 2002-10-08 21:42           ` Simon Josefsson
From: Simon Josefsson @ 2002-10-08 21:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jussi Piitulainen <jpiitula@ling.helsinki.fi> writes:

> Jussi Piitulainen <jpiitula@ling.helsinki.fi> writes:
>
>> Robin S. Socha <robin-dated-1034312046.c4e008@socha.net> writes:
>>> Maybe you should get the sources and install Gnus locally.
>>
>> I think I'll try to get hold of just ssl.el first. It seems to be
>> the missing component.
>
> Now with ssl.el version 1.2 dated 1999 from w3-4.0pre.47, openssl
> appears to make the connection on first attempt, -ssl3.  Gnus still
> says it is using plaintext authentication - is this right? It is
> documented to use the strongest available, but maybe the idea here is
> that openssl takes care of this.

If Gnus uses plaintext authentication, then it is probably the best
mechanism that both the server and Gnus supports.  SSL is currently
not used for authentication purposes at all in Gnus, so it is
considered to be a "stream".