* Re: "couldn't open server" error
       [not found]     ` <ilulm7a9xs6.fsf@latte.josefsson.org>
@ 2002-08-14  5:53       ` Lute Kamstra
       [not found]         ` <86u1lx530t.fsf@citypassenger.com>
From: Lute Kamstra @ 2002-08-14  5:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Lute Kamstra <Lute.Kamstra@cwi.nl> writes:
>
> > Simon Josefsson <jas@extundo.com> writes:

> >> Without more details I'd say it is a bug.  Please elaborate.
> >
> > Why not the obvious?  The server could be down.
>
> That would be too easy. :-)
>
> But you are right.  Still it is a bug, just not a Gnus bug. :-)

Yep, this could actually be one of those real bugs: an insect that
crawled into the server, causing it to fry.  :-)

Lute.

--
(spook) => "diwn smuggle Pine Gap"
(insert-file-contents "~/.signature") => (error "`~/.signature' too rude")

@ 2002-08-14 12:26           ` Simon Josefsson
From: Simon Josefsson @ 2002-08-14 12:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

SpiceBug </*no_spam*/spicebug@freesurf.fr> writes:

> I elaborate : I meet this message after several successful
> synchronizations. (note : I use only one NNTP server).
>
> I suspect a timeout problem, as cited in these old numerous posts.
> (old means 1995, 1997, 1998, 1999).
>
> Moreover, I use a TCP forwarder to access the NNTP server, forwarding
> disconnections when they occur.

As I've never seen this, and I also TCP fowards all my ports via SSH,
I think there is some bad interaction between Gnus / Emacs / fowarder
happening here.  If you use the elisp primitives to open network
connections and send data through it, can you reproduce what is
happening?  See `open-network-stream', `process-send-string' etc.

> The only way to restore a good connection is to restart Gnus.
> And then it works fine.

You should always be able to do C and O in the *Server* buffer.