* Can't send mail again.
@ 2002-08-09 14:21 Jordan Katz
       [not found] ` <ilu1y97htcj.fsf@latte.josefsson.org>
From: Jordan Katz @ 2002-08-09 14:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

  I'm having a problem with my Oort Gnus client (v0.07).  When I
  attempt to send mail anywhere, it bounces back instantly saying the
  domain is untraceable.  Yet, I am able to receive all mail.

  If I ssh into the mail server that I'm using I am able to send mail
  with no problem.

  Any ideas what could be causing this?  Where I could check?

  I am using smtpmail.el to authenticate.  It has all worked fine
  before, it just broke out of the blue.

Thanks,
--
Jordan Katz <katz@underlevel.net>  |  Mind the gap

* Re: Can't send mail again.
       [not found]   ` <86it2f29og.fsf@underlevel.net>
@ 2002-08-13 19:41     ` Simon Josefsson
       [not found]       ` <86y9bbgjqa.fsf@underlevel.net>
From: Simon Josefsson @ 2002-08-13 19:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jordan Katz <katz@underlevel.net> writes:

> For some reason, smtpmail is not invoked when I send mail, so I can't
> get the *trace ...* buffer.

smtpmail is not used by default, so you must tell Gnus to use it.

> In my ~/.emacs I have the following vars set:
>
>  '(smtpmail-default-smtp-server "server.com")
>  '(smtpmail-smtp-server "server.com")
>  '(smtpmail-auth-credentials (quote (("mindspring.com" 25 "myuserid" nil))))
>  '(smtpmail-debug-info t)
>  '(smtpmail-sendto-domain ""))

Add:

'(message-send-mail-function (quote smtpmail-send-it))

* Re: Can't send mail again.
       [not found]                   ` <864rdo69a1.fsf@underlevel.net>
@ 2002-08-21 17:25                     ` Simon Josefsson
From: Simon Josefsson @ 2002-08-21 17:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jordan Katz <katz@underlevel.net> writes:

> Simon Josefsson <jas@extundo.com> writes:

>>> Unfortunately the same thing happens again.. it prompts me for a
>>> password, and when entered, "Mechanism nil is not implemented."
>>
>> Argh, sorry, I hadn't committed the patch, as the person who reported
>> it said if it solved the problem, or I forgot about installing it.
>> Anyway, could you perhaps apply this and check if it works and let me
>> know?  Then I could really install it (or not).
> [snip patch]
>
> I saved the above as smtpmail.el.patch then:
>
> # patch smtpmail.el smtpmail.el.patch
> patching file smtpmail.el
>
> reloaded emacs, gnus and the same problem occurs: "Mechanism nil not
> implemented."  What could this be?

Did you recompile the file?  Either remove smtpmail.elc, or do M-x
byte-compile-file RET on the file.  The first is probably better
though, as it makes backtraces contain more information in case you
get more problems and report the backtrace.

* Re: Can't send mail again.
       [not found]                     ` <iluadncuh68.fsf@h3n1c1o299.bredband.skanova.com>
@ 2002-08-25  6:49                       ` Jordan Katz
From: Jordan Katz @ 2002-08-25  6:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Jordan Katz <katz@underlevel.net> writes:
>
>> 220-smtp6.mindspring.com ESMTP Exim 3.33 #1 Sat, 24 Aug 2002 16:06:02 -0400
>> 220-NO UCE.  EarthLink does not authorize the use of its computers or network
>> 220 equipment to deliver, accept, transmit, or distribute unsolicited e-mail.
>> EHLO jkatz
>> 250-smtp6.mindspring.com Hello user-1121r9f.dsl.mindspring.com [66.32.237.47]
>> 250-SIZE 10485760
>> 250-PIPELINING
>> 250 HELP
>> QUIT
>> 221 smtp6.mindspring.com closing connection
>
> This server doesn't seem to offer any authentication mechanisms at
> all.  Maybe they are using POP-before-SMTP instead?  Then you need to
> set up Gnus to pop from the server before sending mail through it.  I
> think even the old non-standard LOGIN authentication should be
> advertized in the 250 lines.  Perhaps you can tcpdump when some other
> client sends authenticated mail through that server?

I'm not sure I understand what you are saying here.  I used smtpmail
to connect to this very same ISP only weeks ago and it worked fine.. I
would find it hard to believe their auth method changed, but if it
did, how would I set up Gnus to pop from the server before sending
mail through it?  I do not have another client that can send mail
through this.. is there a specific client I should try?

>> What does "220-NO UCE" mean?  The thing is that I use underlevel.net
>> to get incoming mail, but in order to send out mail I have to use
>> mindspring/earthlink (that's my ISP).
>
> 220-NO UCE is just part of the greeting, I'm not sure there is any
> standard interpretation of it.
>
>> Considering that, are my auth/server settings correct?
>
> Looks good, except for your password. :-)

What do you mean?  I didn't post the password.. if you saw something
and thought it was my password then I misused the parameters because
that was my username :)
--
Jordan Katz <katz@underlevel.net>  |  Mind the gap