* Re: Caching summary headers with gnus-agent
       [not found]   ` <87sn47ljh1.fsf@thweeble.telefunken.dyn.ml.org>
@ 2002-06-01  9:38     ` Simon Josefsson
       [not found]       ` <m3hekdtdmv.fsf@defun.localdomain>
From: Simon Josefsson @ 2002-06-01  9:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

Mark Triggs <mst@dishevelled.net> writes:

> I've grabbed and compiled the latest CVS version of gnus, and given it a
> try. Unfortunately, when entering an nntp group, it still seems to
> download old headers from the nntp server rather than the local
> gnus-agent cache - I've tested this by logging network traffic using
> ethereal.

You must enroll the server with the agent.  J a in the server buffer.

This should probably happen automatically.

* Re: Caching summary headers with gnus-agent
       [not found]         ` <87ofelf1d1.fsf@thweeble.telefunken.dyn.ml.org>
@ 2002-06-10  2:49           ` Jesper Harder
From: Jesper Harder @ 2002-06-10  2:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

Mark Triggs <mst@dishevelled.net> writes:

> Jesper Harder <harder@myrealbox.com> writes:
>
>> Hmm, the only effect for me is a ~/News/agent/* hierarchy with a lot of
>> empty directories.  Is this how it's supposed to work?
>>
>> (I'm using the latest cvs Gnus).
>
> Each group directory should contain an '.overview' and '.agentview'
> file. For this group, it would be something like
> ~/News/agent/nntp/someserver/gnu/emacs/gnus/{.overview,.agentview}.

The directory is there, but it's empty.  The only files in my agent-tree
are

     ~/News/agent/nntp/localhost/agent.lib/{active, history}

Ah, it just occurs to me that maybe I've misunderstood how it works.
I'm never unplugged -- are the NOV-lines still supposed to be cached in
that case?

* Re: Caching summary headers with gnus-agent
@ 2002-06-11  0:09             ` those who know me have no need of my name
From: those who know me have no need of my name @ 2002-06-11  0:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

in gnu.emacs.gnus i read:

>The directory is there, but it's empty.  The only files in my agent-tree
>are
>
>     ~/News/agent/nntp/localhost/agent.lib/{active, history}
>
>Ah, it just occurs to me that maybe I've misunderstood how it works.
>I'm never unplugged -- are the NOV-lines still supposed to be cached in
>that case?

yes.

* Re: Caching summary headers with gnus-agent
@ 2002-06-11  1:45               ` Jesper Harder
       [not found]                 ` <ilusn3uf6cn.fsf@latte.josefsson.org>
From: Jesper Harder @ 2002-06-11  1:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

those who know me have no need of my name <not-a-real-address@usa.net> writes:

> in gnu.emacs.gnus i read:
>
>>The directory is there, but it's empty.  The only files in my agent-tree
>>are
>>
>>     ~/News/agent/nntp/localhost/agent.lib/{active, history}
>>
>>Ah, it just occurs to me that maybe I've misunderstood how it works.
>>I'm never unplugged -- are the NOV-lines still supposed to be cached in
>>that case?
>
> yes.

Ok.  Any suggestions about where I should look to debug it?

* Re: Caching summary headers with gnus-agent
       [not found]                   ` <m3n0u1675q.fsf@defun.localdomain>
@ 2002-06-11 20:08                     ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2002-06-11 20:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jesper Harder <harder@myrealbox.com> writes:

> Debugger entered--Lisp error: (wrong-type-argument number-or-marker-p rename)
>   gnus-agent-braid-nov("comp.lang.fortran" (12148) "/home/harder/News/agent/nntp/localhost/comp/lang/fortran/.overview")
>   gnus-agent-retrieve-headers((12148) "comp.lang.fortran" nil)

I think there is bogus data in the overview returned from the
server.  Could you telnet the server and ask it for the overview data
of that article?  Does that look suspicious?

kai
--
~/.signature is: umop 3p!sdn    (Frank Nobis)