* SMTP with Gnus
@ 2004-09-11  4:40 lrnr
       [not found] ` <m2656lbd6a.fsf@yahoo.com.cn>
From: lrnr @ 2004-09-11  4:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

I am trying to use SMTP with Gnus, I followed the instructions from this
site:

http://josefsson.org/smtpmail.html#Emacs%20Speaks%20SM

Then I got the latest version of smtpmail.el as described here:
http://josefsson.org/emacs-rfc2554.html

But I am still getting this error:

250-smtp100.rog.mail.re2.yahoo.com
250-AUTH LOGIN PLAIN
250-PIPELINING
250 8BITMIME
MAIL FROM:<dfgh@rogers.com>
530 authentication required - for help go to http://help.yahoo.com/help/us/mail/pop/pop-11.html
QUIT

--
lrnr

* Re: SMTP with Gnus
       [not found]   ` <iluekl9yonw.fsf@latte.josefsson.org>
@ 2004-09-11 16:43     ` lrnr
From: lrnr @ 2004-09-11 16:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

    Simon> zrr <beijing_2008_gold@yahoo.com.cn> writes:
    >> lrnr <ns@nospam.com> writes:
    >>
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> Here is my configuration in the .gnus.el
    >>
    >> (load "smtpmail") (setq smtpmail-smtp-server
    >> "smtp.mail.yahoo.com.cn") (setq smtpmail-default-smtp-server
    >> "smtp.mail.yahoo.com.cn") (setq send-mail-function
    >> 'smtpmail-send-it) (setq message-send-mail-function
    >> 'smtpmail-send-it) (setq smtpmail-smtp-service 25) (setq
    >> smtpmail-auth-credentials '(("smtp.mail.yahoo.com.cn" 25
    >> "account_name" "xxxxxxxxxxx"))) ^^^^^^^^^^^^without @yahoo.xxx

    Simon> Looks good.  Did you really load the correct smtpmail.el?  If
    Simon> you do C-h v smtpmail-auth-credentials RET, do you see an
    Simon> explanation for the variable?

Hi Simon, thanks for your help,

As I already explained to "zrr", my problem was that I was setting my
smtpmail-auth-credentials with double quotes around the port number,
like this:

  (setq smtpmail-auth-credentials
        '(("smtp" "25" "username" nil)))

Removing the double quotes around the number 25 solves the
problem.

On your page http://josefsson.org/smtpmail.html#Authentication you have
the following example:

;; Authenticate using this username and password against my server.
(setq smtpmail-auth-credentials
     '(("hostname" "port" "username" "password")))

So I just took these lines and substituted my values for the strings,
that is way I put the port number in double quotes.

Thanks
--
lrnr

* Re: SMTP with Gnus
@ 2004-09-11 18:05       ` Simon Josefsson
From: Simon Josefsson @ 2004-09-11 18:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

lrnr <ns@nospam.com> writes:

> Hi Simon, thanks for your help,
>
> As I already explained to "zrr", my problem was that I was setting my
> smtpmail-auth-credentials with double quotes around the port number,
> like this:
>
>   (setq smtpmail-auth-credentials
>         '(("smtp" "25" "username" nil)))
>
> Removing the double quotes around the number 25 solves the
> problem.
>
> On your page http://josefsson.org/smtpmail.html#Authentication you have
> the following example:
>
> ;; Authenticate using this username and password against my server.
> (setq smtpmail-auth-credentials
>      '(("hostname" "port" "username" "password")))
>
> So I just took these lines and substituted my values for the strings,
> that is way I put the port number in double quotes.

The page now read:

     ;; Authenticate using this username and password against my server.
     (setq smtpmail-auth-credentials
           '(("HOSTNAME" "PORT" "USERNAME" "PASSWORD")))

     ;; Note that if PORT is an integer, you must not quote it as a
     ;; string.  Normally PORT should be the integer 25, and the example
     ;; become:
     (setq smtpmail-auth-credentials
           '(("HOSTNAME" 25 "USERNAME" "PASSWORD")))

     ;; Use STARTTLS without authentication against the server.
     (setq smtpmail-starttls-credentials
           '(("HOSTNAME" "PORT" nil nil)))

Thanks.