* stunnel for SSL still needs authentication
@ 2003-07-06  3:05 Michael R. Wolf
       [not found] ` <84llvb6ewj.fsf@lucy.is.informatik.uni-duisburg.de>
From: Michael R. Wolf @ 2003-07-06  3:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'm trying to use stunnel to provide the SSL that I cannot otherwise
specify to gnus. But when I do, the traceback asks me for
authentication information. How do I specify that?

Thanks,
Michael Wolf

================ stunnel.conf ================
[smtp]
accept = 25
connect = imailhost.worldnet.att.net:465

================ *trace of SMTP session to localhost* ================
220 worldnet.att.net - Maillennium ESMTP/MULTIBOX/TLS mtiwmhc11 #13
EHLO TAMPA.att.net
250-worldnet.att.net
250-7BIT
250-8BITMIME
250-AUTH CRAM-MD5 LOGIN PLAIN
250-DSN
250-HELP
250-NOOP
250-PIPELINING
250-SIZE 10485760
250-STARTTLS
250-VERS V04.50c++
250 XMVP 2
MAIL FROM: <MichaelRWolf@att.net> SIZE=410
530 Authentication required
QUIT
221 worldnet.att.net

Michael R. Wolf
    All mammals learn by playing!
        MichaelRWolf@att.net

* Re: stunnel for SSL still needs authentication
@ 2003-07-06  3:08 ` Michael R. Wolf
       [not found] ` <84llvb6ewj.fsf@lucy.is.informatik.uni-duisburg.de>
From: Michael R. Wolf @ 2003-07-06  3:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

Michael R. Wolf <MichaelRWolf@att.net> writes:

> I'm trying to use stunnel to provide the SSL that I cannot otherwise
> specify to gnus.

Specifying SSL directly to Gnus for this SMTP connection would be
simpler.  stunnel was just an attempt to get around Gnus' lack of this
parameter.

--

       [not found]       ` <uznjrhsck.fsf@att.net>
@ 2003-07-07 15:32         ` Simon Josefsson
From: Simon Josefsson @ 2003-07-07 15:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

Michael R. Wolf <MichaelRWolf@att.net> writes:

>> Smtpmail.el in Emacs support both SASL and STARTTLS.  SSL on a
>> different port would not be difficult to support, but I will not work
>> on that since it isn't the right thing.
>
> It's the right thing for me!!!

I hear you.

I still won't do the work though. :-) Of course, I'd encourage anyone
else to do it, and might even help answering questions or committing
the patch to CVS.

> My ISP (att.net) requires it. If I come in through the internet
> (instead of their modem pool -- e.g. from a wireless cafe), I've got
> to follow these rules:
>
>     http://www.wurd.com/eng/setup/index.htm#Accessing

I'm unable to access the mail server from here (no DNS entry), so I
cannot check if it supports SASL or STARTTLS too, but they really
should support that.  They could support SMTP over TLS too, for legacy
clients.

I'll repeat the suggestion to use SSH port forwarding that someone
suggested; it is simple and reliable.  You can even get it to work
from behind a HTTP tunnel if you ever need to.  Of course, this assume
you have a Internet connected machine you can SSH to, and a SMTP
server accessible from it.

Good luck.