From: Simon Josefsson <jas@extundo.com>
Subject: Re: failure using starttls with Oort gnus/imap
Date: Sat, 22 Mar 2003 18:25:51 +0100	[thread overview]

> William F Hammond <hammond@csc.albany.edu> writes:
>
>> After moving to GNU Emacs 21.3. and using the overnight tarball
>> dated 20030320, I get a somewhat different debug message, which matches
>> byte-for-byte the debug message from ognus-0.16:
>
> The problem seems to be more fundamental.  `imap-open' may kill the
> buffer it's been fed, for some reason or other, which makes
> `mail-source-fetch-imap' very unhappy, since it created the buffer.
>
> Perhaps Simon knows what the right fix for this should be?  (I think
> it's probably a mistake for `imap-open' to kill the buffer...)

imap.el connects to the server initially, and then looks at what
authentication/stream mechanisms are available ("starttls", "imtest",
etc), and then tries each one of them in order until someone succeeds.
These subsequent connections are made in a temporary buffer.  If one
of them succeeds, the first buffer is closed and the new one renamed
to the old one.

This works fine in Gnus which usually uses name of buffers, but I
guess mail-sources use the elisp buffer type instead.

The reason the initial buffer isn't teared down and the other streams
are invoked in the same buffer, is that imap.el can (and frequently
does) decide to use that connection if no stronger
stream/authentication succeeded.  So if it is teared down, it would
have to reopen it.

I'll see if I can think of a way to fix it...