* Re: nnimap again.
       [not found] <ur8judbud.fsf@dvdkb.net>
@ 2002-05-29 19:26 ` Simon Josefsson
       [not found]   ` <iluptze3gak.fsf@latte.josefsson.org>
From: Simon Josefsson @ 2002-05-29 19:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

Kyrre Baker <knews@dvdkb.net> writes:

> I really can't get this to work. Here's what i have done so far.
>
> 1. I read the C-h i -> Gnus -> Imap
> 2. I tried to understand what to do; and came up whith something like this in my .gnus
>
> ;;; My IMAP connection: (setq gnus-secondary-select-methods '((nnimap "mail" (nnimap-address "server.name") (nnimap-stream network) (nnimap-server-port 143))))
> ;;; End of IMAP connection:
>
> Then i restart Gnus, and must write my username and password. Thats
> it. It seems to stop there. Anyone want to hint me some more?

You need to subscribe to groups on the server using the server buffer
(type ^ from the group buffer) before you see them in the group
buffer.

* Re: nnimap again.
       [not found]     ` <ysw7kllswp2.fsf@stian.grytoyr.net>
@ 2002-05-30 12:38       ` Simon Josefsson
From: Simon Josefsson @ 2002-05-30 12:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

Stian Grytoyr <stian@grytoyr.net> writes:

> Foo <Foo4You@hotmail.com> writes:
>
> |  Now I just have to figure out why sorting/displaying a
> |  few thousand messages takes ages with my current config
> |  compared to other newsreaders :).
>
> If your server is running Courier-IMAP, I'm pretty sure you
> will see a dramatic speed increase if you set
> (nnimap-nov-is-evil) in the nnimap config. This is because
> nnimap issues UID SEARCH UID <uid> for every message you
> want to look at, and that makes Courier open _every_ message
> in the folder. Needless to say, this can take something like
> forever in a big mailbox with thousands of messages.
>
> For me, this simple setting increased the speed by several
> hundred percent, especially in the larger mailboxes.

For everyones information: In Oort Gnus this is the default, and the
Gnus Agent NOV cache is used instead.