* Subject field (none)
@ 2006-10-18 23:49 David Breton
From: David Breton @ 2006-10-18 23:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

I'm having trouble sending mail with gnus.  I'm using Gnus v5.10.6.
When sending mail (and perhaps even when posting on newsgroups, I'll
know when I'll see this post) The Subject line is changed from
whatever I entered to: (none)

Here's a copy paste showing an example.  I sent myself an email with
the subject 'Test' and body 'Testing'.

**************
This is what appears in the Summary buffer:
   [  11: -> dbreton@cs.sfu.ca   ] (none)

When I select it this shows up:

From: David Breton <dbreton@cs.sfu.ca>
To: dbreton@cs.sfu.ca
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2006 16:35:35 -0700

To: dbreton@cs.sfu.ca
Subject: Test
From: David Breton <dbreton@cs.sfu.ca>
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2006 16:35:35 -0700

Testing

**************

The top 3 lines form the Header (From, To and Date) and the rest is in
the body of the message.  Using (t) to toggle the header expands the
top 3 lines with numerous extra fields but no Subject.

This is really annoying. Any ideas?
Thanks for any help.

David

* Re: Subject field (none)
@ 2006-10-19  8:41 ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2006-10-19  8:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, Oct 19 2006, David Breton wrote:

> The top 3 lines form the Header (From, To and Date) and the rest is in
> the body of the message.  Using (t) to toggle the header expands the
> top 3 lines with numerous extra fields but no Subject.

This used to happen (in Gnus < 5.10) if you insert header fields with
extra newlines at the end (e.g. X-Face).  But IIRC in Gnus 5.10,
there's a check to avoid this problem.

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)

* Re: Subject field (none)
@ 2006-10-19 18:13   ` David Breton
From: David Breton @ 2006-10-19 18:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 19 Oct 2006, reinersteib+gmane@imap.cc wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 19 2006, David Breton wrote:
>
>> The top 3 lines form the Header (From, To and Date) and the rest is
>> in the body of the message.  Using (t) to toggle the header expands
>> the top 3 lines with numerous extra fields but no Subject.
>
> This used to happen (in Gnus < 5.10) if you insert header fields
> with extra newlines at the end (e.g. X-Face).  But IIRC in Gnus
> 5.10, there's a check to avoid this problem.
>
> Bye, Reiner.

There is no header field with extra newlines at the end and I'm using
Guns 5.10 so it must be something else.  I find it weird that posts to
newsgroups show up correctly but not private mail.  I've tried using
(F) the followup to this post and (R) to reply and saw these headers:
Follow-up: Newsgroups, Subject, X-Draft-From, References,From
Reply: To, Subject, X-Draft-From, References, From, Gcc

The only differences are that Newsgroups posting seem to use the
header field Newsgroups instead of To and there is an extra Gcc in the
reply to archive my mail, it reads:
Gcc: nnfolder+archive:sent-mail-2006-10

The 'text follow this line' marker follows right below the Gcc line
with no new line in between.  Removing this header field from the
reply does not help.

David

* Re: Subject field (none)
@ 2006-10-20  8:19 ` kousik
From: kousik @ 2006-10-20  8:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

David Breton wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm having trouble sending mail with gnus.  I'm using Gnus v5.10.6.
> When sending mail [...] The Subject line is changed from
> whatever I entered to: (none)
>
> When I select it this shows up:
>
> From: David Breton <dbreton@cs.sfu.ca>
> To: dbreton@cs.sfu.ca
> Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2006 16:35:35 -0700
>
> To: dbreton@cs.sfu.ca
> Subject: Test

I have seen this before when sending mail using sendmail. Same gnus,
sent correct headers when talked SMTP. I suspected sendmail interface.
But an upgrade to Gnus/5.110006 (No Gnus v0.6) solved it.

Kousik

* Re: Subject field (none)
@ 2006-10-24  0:01   ` David Breton
From: David Breton @ 2006-10-24  0:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 20 Oct 2006, kousiknandy@gmail.com wrote:

David Breton wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm having trouble sending mail with gnus.  I'm using Gnus v5.10.6.
>> When sending mail [...] The Subject line is changed from
>> whatever I entered to: (none)
>>
>> When I select it this shows up:
>>
>> From: David Breton <dbreton@cs.sfu.ca>
>> To: dbreton@cs.sfu.ca
>> Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2006 16:35:35 -0700
>>
>> To: dbreton@cs.sfu.ca
>> Subject: Test
>
>I have seen this before when sending mail using sendmail. Same gnus,
>sent correct headers when talked SMTP. I suspected sendmail interface.
>But an upgrade to Gnus/5.110006 (No Gnus v0.6) solved it.
>
>Kousik

using the Gnus version from the cvs repository solved my problem.

Thanks,
David

--
THIS time it really is fixed. I mean, how many times can we
get it wrong? At some point, we just have to run out of really