* Agent and IMAP
@ 2004-02-18 23:11 Jason Dufair
From: Jason Dufair @ 2004-02-18 23:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

I recently upgraded from 5.10.2 to 5.10.6.  I also occasionally manage
my mail via MS Outlook (thru native Outlook->Exchange interface) while
simultaneously managing mail in Gnus via IMAP.  While I've never had a
problem with this before, I'm finding that with 5.10.6, my article
buffer sometimes gets confused.  It'll show articles that have been
deleted and purged, not show new articles, etc.  The only resolution
I've found is to stop Gnus, rm -rf ~/News/agent, restart Gnus.

It would appear that Gnus is caching articles/headers via "agent".  Can
I disable this somehow so I'm seeing a realtime view of my IMAP mailboxes?
--
Jason Dufair - jase@dufair.org
http://www.dufair.org/

* Re: Agent and IMAP
@ 2004-02-18 23:34 ` Simon Josefsson
From: Simon Josefsson @ 2004-02-18 23:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jason Dufair <jase@dufair.org> writes:

> I recently upgraded from 5.10.2 to 5.10.6.  I also occasionally manage
> my mail via MS Outlook (thru native Outlook->Exchange interface) while
> simultaneously managing mail in Gnus via IMAP.  While I've never had a
> problem with this before, I'm finding that with 5.10.6, my article
> buffer sometimes gets confused.  It'll show articles that have been
> deleted and purged, not show new articles, etc.  The only resolution
> I've found is to stop Gnus, rm -rf ~/News/agent, restart Gnus.
>
> It would appear that Gnus is caching articles/headers via "agent".  Can
> I disable this somehow so I'm seeing a realtime view of my IMAP mailboxes?

`J r' on the server, in the server buffer, removes the server from the
agent programme.  Then no caching will happen.  You'd might want to
toggle nnimap-nov-is-evil, to get the old nnimap-specific NOV caching,
which was stable for some time.

Or describe in detail how to reproduce the problem, complete with
*imap-log* output (see `imap-log'), so the problem can be fixed.
Using the cache will be faster.