* nnimap is very slow compared to netscape
@ 2002-07-04 20:27 Uwe Brauer
       [not found] ` <iluvg7vuwhs.fsf@latte.josefsson.org>
From: Uwe Brauer @ 2002-07-04 20:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello

When accessing my INBOX (size 1500 message ~5M) via nnimap it is
at least 10 times slower than Netscape, is there any variable I can
change?

Thanks

Uwe Brauer

* Re: nnimap is very slow compared to netscape
       [not found]   ` <m365zu3udr.fsf@sunma2.mat.ucm.es>
@ 2002-07-08  7:13     ` those who know me have no need of my name
       [not found]       ` <kf65zpivti.fsf@shaoz.activesky.com.au>
From: those who know me have no need of my name @ 2002-07-08  7:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

in gnu.emacs.gnus i read:
>Simon Josefsson <jas@extundo.com> writes:
>> Uwe Brauer <oub@sunma2.mat.ucm.es> writes:

>> > When accessing my INBOX (size 1500 message ~5M) via nnimap it is at
>> >least 10 times slower than Netscape, is there any variable I can
>> >change?
>>
>> More recent Gnus should be faster.

but still unusable on servers that don't use monotonically increasing uid's.

>I am using 5.8.8

i think simon was referring to oort, which is the bleeding edge of gnus,
i.e., the development version which you can obtain from
<http://www.gnus.org/distribution.html> -- the tarball is oort 0.06,
bleading edge is via cvs, instructions on the same page.

* Re: nnimap is very slow compared to netscape
       [not found]         ` <87u1n9rage.fsf@happy.sherilyn.org.uk>
@ 2002-07-09  5:36           ` Shao Zhang
From: Shao Zhang @ 2002-07-09  5:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

On [09 Jul 2002 00:50:25 +0000], Sherilyn <sherilyn@suespammers.org> wrote:
> Shao Zhang <shaoz@activesky.com> writes:
>
>> On [08 Jul 2002 07:13:41 GMT], those who know me have no need of
>> my name <not-a-real-address@usa.net> wrote:
>> > but still unusable on servers that don't use monotonically increasing uid's.
>>
>> Is there anyway to fix this? This is my biggest problem with gnus at the
>> moment.
>
> A good workaround until this is fixed would be to use fetchmail to put
> emails into the local spool file where Gnus can fold, spindle and mutilate
> them to the point where they are readable.

I would not call it a workaround. If using fetchmail, then nnimap is not
needed at all.

Regards,

Shao.