* Error in nnimap-open-connection-1 when using nnimap-stream plain
@ 2012-11-16 22:57 Burton Samograd
From: Burton Samograd @ 2012-11-16 22:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Hello,

When I use the following select method:

(setq gnus-select-method '(nnimap "localhost"
                                  (nnimap-address "localhost")
                                  (nnimap-server-port 1143)
                                  (nnimap-stream plain)))

I get a "wrong type argument: string nil" message when running gnus.
Tracking this down lead me into nnimap-open-connection-1, where it
doesn't look like capabilities are set when using nnimap-stream plain
(or maybe some other reason).

I fixed it by wrapping the mapcar #'upcase with an if statement
(starting at line 433 of my gnus sources in nnimap.el):

	    (setf (nnimap-capabilities nnimap-object)
		  (if capabilities
		    (mapcar #'upcase
			    (split-string capabilities))
		    ""))

The original code was:

	    (setf (nnimap-capabilities nnimap-object)
            (mapcar #'upcase
			    (split-string capabilities)))

which error'd out when capabilities was nil.

I'm not sure if this is a proper fix, but it got me a bit further into
what I was trying to do, which as attempt to use Davmail to connect to
an exchange server.

--
Burton Samograd

* Re: Error in nnimap-open-connection-1 when using nnimap-stream plain
@ 2012-11-16 23:27 ` Burton Samograd
From: Burton Samograd @ 2012-11-16 23:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Burton Samograd <burton@samograd.ca> writes:

> Hello,
>
> When I use the following select method:
>
> (setq gnus-select-method '(nnimap "localhost"
>                                   (nnimap-address "localhost")
>                                   (nnimap-server-port 1143)
>                                   (nnimap-stream plain)))
>
> I get a "wrong type argument: string nil" message when running gnus.
> Tracking this down lead me into nnimap-open-connection-1, where it
> doesn't look like capabilities are set when using nnimap-stream plain
> (or maybe some other reason).
>
> I fixed it by wrapping the mapcar #'upcase with an if statement
> (starting at line 433 of my gnus sources in nnimap.el):
>
> 	    (setf (nnimap-capabilities nnimap-object)
> 		  (if capabilities
> 		    (mapcar #'upcase
> 			    (split-string capabilities))
> 		    ""))

I realized after sending that this probably should have been:

 	    (setf (nnimap-capabilities nnimap-object)
 		  (if capabilities
 		    (mapcar #'upcase
 			    (split-string capabilities))))

since if returns nil, which I should have been returning rather than the
empty string.

--
Burton Samograd